LegacyGT.com

Gauges Poll

Looking for your input on necessary gauges. Car is a stage 3 daily.

I will always use my Accessport V3 in addition to:

A) afr, boost, oil press in 3d printed triple cubby pod

B) afr and boost in jcs cubby pod

C) afr and oil press in jcs cubby pod

A or C. boost gauges are fun, but really are not needed. AFR and oil pressure, and maybe a voltage gauge, will be much more useful for you.

Voltage, more useful than boost?! Interesting. Does not an idiot light come on somewhere when voltage is low? I can only see limited purpose for a voltage gauge, but maybe that's because in all my years of driving and the myriad of vehicles I've owned, I've never once found myself thinking "if I'd had a volt gauge, I could have avoided this problem". Meanwhile, a boost gauge (at least on gasoline engines) almost always includes a vaccuum reading as well, which is good for diagnosing somewhere in the neighborhood of five and a half million issues, and detecting problems before they get out of hand and start causing collateral damage. I realize this post could come off as cocky and abrasive, so I want to clarify that that isn't my intention. There are a lot of idiosyncrasies with these cars, and if there is some known phenomena relating to unknown voltage, I'm all ears. My main point however, is that a boost gauge is a lot more than a fun bauble if you know how to read it.

Voltage, more useful than boost?! Interesting. Does not an idiot light come on somewhere when voltage is low? I can only see limited purpose for a voltage gauge, but maybe that's because in all my years of driving and the myriad of vehicles I've owned, I've never once found myself thinking "if I'd had a volt gauge, I could have avoided this problem". Meanwhile, a boost gauge (at least on gasoline engines) almost always includes a vaccuum reading as well, which is good for diagnosing somewhere in the neighborhood of five and a half million issues, and detecting problems before they get out of hand and start causing collateral damage. I realize this post could come off as cocky and abrasive, so I want to clarify that that isn't my intention. There are a lot of idiosyncrasies with these cars, and if there is some known phenomena relating to unknown voltage, I'm all ears. My main point however, is that a boost gauge is a lot more than a fun bauble if you know how to read it.

I guess im the 1% then that a volt gauge would have helped me. i was having weird stuttering and stalling issues that turned out had to do with the voltage varying greatly off the battery. but i fully understand your point. From my personal observations, many people get a boost gauge (myself included) to watch it go up and down with boost and not really for diagnosing issues. The gauge has come in handy once with an overboost issue, but besides for that is mainly for show.

This is not a function monitored by most modern handheld programmers? Most people I know say you need it for the tune, after that it's just a light show.

I've heard that as well but I'm not totally sold on it. Suppose a tuner would be the only one who could answer that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My vote is A. The boost and oil pressure gauges assist in noticing a possible leak and if oil pressure is low we all know what that saves. They are more then just a light show if you know what your looking at

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Archived