LegacyGT.com

Engine cover

I've had mine off since a couple of day's after I bought my 2005 wagon in late June 2004

I took it off one day to look under it and I lost one of those plastic clips, and left it off ever since. I removed the one from my 09 Spec B too.

I want to see the engine when I open the hood, not some piece of plastic.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Don't think there are any + or -'s. I May be wrong here but sti's and wrx's don't have a cover

I keep mine on so when people want to see what's under the hood it looks stock, even though its not

The WRX and STI splitter also fits up against the tmic unlike the LGT one.

The WRX and STI splitter also fits up against the tmic unlike the LGT one.

This ^

Removing the cover isn't going to make anything explode, but it will hurt the efficiency of the intercooler, and therefore power. So removing it isn't recommended.

• I Donated Too
Took mine off didn't see and noticeable changes...

Are you logging IAT's, IAM, or timing compensation? It's only a matter of a handful of horsepower in certain situations. "Butt dyno" isn't a valid tool to say you didn't notice any change

If I get bored in the next few days maybe I'll do a bit of logging with and without it to see how much of a difference it makes. I'm kind of digging the mod to attach it to the hood, since I'm very much not a fan of engine covers. Only reason I still have it is to keep that intercooler working as efficiently as possible.

True, but you can monitor load. If the intercooler is being significantly less efficient, the air will be less dense after it, therefore less load at the same boost. (Unless I'm crazy, feel free to correct me). Not as nice at looking at a temperature, but really a bit more relevant to real world performance anyway.

Alright, so I actually tested this today by monitoring load for 3 pulls (one with the cover, one without, and another with). Conclusion: Doesn't matter. Max load didn't change by more than .02g/rev between any of the runs, and looks to be within the error I'd anticipate. So, even though I said it should theoretically make a difference, it doesn't look like it does in the real world, at least in the conditions I was in.

Archived