LegacyGT.com

Pros and cons of changing stock tire size

LivinLegacy

I need to replace my tires on my 2.5i limited. I have been waiting for 2 years to do this. I really dislike the stock tires that come on the car and I am going with the continental dsw uhpas. I have them on my protege5 and I am really enjoying them.

Anyway to the question at hand;

The stock tire size is 205/50 r17, I was thinking to change the tire size for better response. I was thinking 225/45 r17

1) can that be done?

2) what are the pros / cons to changing the sizes

3) What is the best size to get?

I live in pa with some pretty rough roads, decent snow.

Thanks for your opinions.

1. yes - plenty of people on here run 225/45 17 w/o issue

2. pros - better grip; cons - might be more expensive; usually you want a narrower tire for winter though I dunno if you'd notice much difference between 205 and 225 widths.

3. depends on what you want, check the sticky.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I have the DWS in 205/50/17, no complaints.

I think the cons outweigh the pros if you go 225/45/17:

- more rolling resistance (less MPG)

- not as good in the snow

- more sidewall flex

225/45/17 is more suited for 7.5"-8" wheel im my opinion.

- more sidewall flex

225's come stock on 7" Subaru wheels. The Outbacks have them.

225/45's actually have shorter sidewalls than 205/50's do. 225/45 = 50.625mm sidewall, 205/50 = 51.25mm sidewall.

As for being better in the snow, the wider tire won't be. It's not like they'll be dangerous in the snow (plenty of cars, including Subaru OEM, come with 225's and larger, and do great in the snow).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

As for being better in the snow, the wider tire won't be. It's not like they'll be dangerous in the snow (plenty of cars, including Subaru OEM, come with 225's and larger, and do great in the snow).

Agreed,I'm running 225 UHP Michelin Pilot A/S on stock rims without any problems at all .

- more sidewall flex

Disagree. 225/45R17, IMO, is what size should be stock on the LGT. The ride is worlds better, the 65mph+ cruise RPM dropped a little, and it really changes the look of the car over stock. Sidewall flex can be controlled by selecting a good tire or running a slightly higher pressure.

every tire is diff with air temp. i run 225-40-17 and have had no issue with gas milage going down or up. I do feel this is the best tire size for our gt's.

What is load index of your "the best size" 225/40R17 tire?

Krzys

just switched to 215/45-17, liking it so far. Slightly smaller sidewall looks great in comparison to the 50's. Side wall flex is a tad bit better. and I got them for just over $300 (tires-easy.com)

If you got the Conti EC DWS for just over $300, then you only bought three tires. They're $107 each. :spin::lol::eek:

http://ssl.delti.com/Logos/Nankang.gif

NS-1 215/45 R17 91H BSW

I would never pay more than $50 for a Continental. I used to have 2 Spec-V's, changing the tires was my first mod b/c they came w/Contisports 215/45-17.

I have no real complaints yet about these things, under $300 with shipping. Sorry, but I don't know many people that buy 3 tires.

Archived