LegacyGT.com

Help, Leggy Not Starting

I don't think it's the battery or starter, because car will start just not on the first turn of the key. When I turn the key to start position nothing happens car does not even crank, no click, click, click, nothing. Turn key back, try again and maybe it'll start.:confused:

Might have a clue. I got a CEL a month ago and it was the neutral safety switch. Dealer cleared the code said could not reproduce (I'm shocked).

So, no CEL but same symptom has come back randomly. I can hear the fuel pump but no clicks from the starter though there is a relay clicking in the front dash.

I've been successful , but don't know if it is a coincidence, pushing the shifter into "Park" a bit more firmly. I got a theory.

Tyr it let me know.

pushing the shifter into "Park" a bit more firmly. I got a theory.

Tyr it let me know.

Nope, didn't work. I don't think I spilled any coolatta down in the shift gate. Still stumped. Car will start, just not on the first turn. Very frustrating, may turn violent.:mad: Any idea???:confused:

This will get even wackier but, try stepping on the brakes as you push / force the shifter into "park". If nothing here, time for the repair shop.

Unless, you went for the diet coolatta. There is a nonsense interlock.

Errrr! 10+ tries to start last night. Started right up this morning. Wtf? Shut off and try to restart when I got to work, took two tries (did not turn key all the way back). Lights come on, radio comes on, anyone else have this happen? I don't want to go to the dealer for an intermittent problem.

Sure seems like the same issue but, mine is even more intermittent. I am almost convinced it's not the starter solenoid, you don't get the tell tale clicking as the solenoid tries to engage.

I do get a relay in the front dash clicking. I wonder.

My wife's car was doing something similar recently. She would try to crank it, the interior lights would come on, radio, etc. but the engine wouldn't crank and did not even hear the solenoid. I would jiggle the battery under the hood while she cranked and it'd fire right up. Turns out when I had her battery replaced awhile back, they put some of that red sealant on the post. As it warmed up with the summer temps, it oozed down in between the post and the cable, creating a poor connection. It was cleaned and stripped and have not had a problem since.

Man your problem sounds exactly like one I was having with my old LGT, mine was more intermittent, but I could never figure it out. I cant tell you how many times I had to just leave the car after I had driven it some where because the damn electrical gremlin wouldnt let the car start.

Good luck man I remember how pissed I was

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Turns out when I had her battery replaced awhile back, they put some of that red sealant on the post.

My wife went to use the car Saturday and no go. Reflash did nothing. Pulled negative terminal to reset ECU and there was some grit on the post also was a little lose. I had the battery tested 12.9 volts & 572 cold cranking amps. Seems to be ok but I will keep you posted.

My wife went to use the car Saturday and no go. Reflash did nothing. Pulled negative terminal to reset ECU and there was some grit on the post also was a little lose. I had the battery tested 12.9 volts & 572 cold cranking amps. Seems to be ok but I will keep you posted.

Man that sounds AWFULLY similar to my scenario. I bet it's either the batter post not making good contact or something wrong with the cable.

Archived