LegacyGT.com

Shorter MT stick?

noam

I've tried searching to no avail...

I just purchased my '05 LGT MT. I'm happy with the throw and side-to-side aspects of the current stick, but I'd like it to be a little shorter. Is there a way to change the height of the stick without replacing the whole thing with a short throw shifter (ala Perrin or STi)?

I'd rather not undergo a more expensive and time consuming change if there is a simple fix to the height of the stick.

Thanks.

Agreed with others here - do a total swap for a true short-throw.

Ample documentation for such swaps abound (and brother scans007's website is a GREAT example of what a treasure-chest of information this whole LGT community is!), and you'll thank yourself later for going through the trouble/effort.

Why?

A simple chop-and-rethread is certainly doable, as is the installation of simply a physically shorter knob, but such mods also only work to change the leverage arm in only one aspect, and improperly done, you'll chance increasing shift effort, vagueness, and possibly even cause yourself to miss shifts because of such changes.

Trust me, as a DSMer at-heart, such "chop and rebuild" mods are daily occurances in our community, and more often than not, those who modify thus, trying to save a few dollars or are just looking for a "shorter" shift, come away rather unhappy, at best.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Agreed with others here - do a total swap for a true short-throw.

Ample documentation for such swaps abound (and brother scans007's website is a GREAT example of what a treasure-chest of information this whole LGT community is!), and you'll thank yourself later for going through the trouble/effort.

I'm convinced... Are there comparison pictures which can give me a feel for how short the various swaps go (given a consistent knob)?

Thanks.

LOL....nope.......I went through a bunch of knobs before I found the one I love...here's what I ended up with :D

This is the Cobb Double Adjustable with Impreza Shift Knob

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/Pictures/ImprezaKnob/DSC01976.JPG

LOL....nope.......I went through a bunch of knobs before I found the one I love...here's what I ended up with :D

This is the Cobb Double Adjustable

Hmm... That looks perfect for me as it lets me choose how high the stick is. That's my biggest concern.

Yeah just when you get it, drive around without putting everything back together until you get it to the right hight......I made the mistake of the first 3 times putting everythign fully back together....(aka, leave the snap ring out ;p) then after about 6 adjustments I got it just snug ;)

Anyone want to post a side profile picture of the Kartboy shifter? I love the way the Cobb looks in the pic posted, can I expect a similar reduction in height?

I currently have the STi short shifter....would i have any issues replacing either the Kartboy or Cobb levers into this setup? Please advise....

Thanks...

I.K.

I just got a COBB shifter and bushings.

I notice that I feel the shifter rubbing against something when I acclerate hard in 1st. For a moment or two I can feel the shifter vibrate like a metal to metal vibration.

I just got a COBB shifter and bushings.

I notice that I feel the shifter rubbing against something when I acclerate hard in 1st. For a moment or two I can feel the shifter vibrate like a metal to metal vibration.

Your throw is set to short. Try increasing the throw until it doesnt hit the metal surround in all gears.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived