LegacyGT.com

Please help!

As few of you may know, I have been accumulating many parts for a T/S VF36/37 build on a Legacy GT over the last few years and I finally have everything coming together for an install this spring. Unfortunately I have run into a problem: Machining the VF40 compressor cover to fit a VF36. I called Mike from Blouch today and he said that he has never done any VF40 to VF36/37 cover swaps. I thought it was him I called 6 months ago to verify but it must have been someone else. (I though he did Unclematt’s VF36 with a VF40 compressor cover and 20G wheel turbo?!?!?)

Can someone please point me in the right direction to a company that has expertise in this? I have a brand new VF36 and don’t want to leave anything to chance. I talked to Bryan @ BNR a little while back also but he does not work on the TS turbos and PDX is no longer around I believe? I just bought the AVO DP (Thanks Jeremy) and I have the T/S Bellmouth coming from overseas (Thanks Paul) and now this could bring the project to a halt. (Maybe it’s an omen???)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mike must have amnesia, because he has done the conversion for me. VF37, GT35 (GT2871) compressor and VF40 cover.

That being said I don't really recommend going this route, since VF40 top mounts really suck (all of them). So I'd say stick with STI style cover and either do STI intake manifold swap or go front mount.

Btw, why is this forum still so hideously slow? All 2010+ boatriders swarmed this site or something? One of the reasons I rarely visit the forum anymore, as I got fed up with the 'Server too busy' messages.

That's what I figured but I was thinking maybe it was me with the amnesia. The top mounts heat soak but it's still a DD for me and I want it to stay as stock looking as possible and I don't want to deal with a FMIC and lose my fogs. I talked to Bryan @ BNR and he is going to help me out so hopefully all will be good. Too bad the Process West TMIC isn't a direct fit for the Legacy. The STi swap is also an option. (good point I didn't think of that) I wonder if I will have the patience to collect all the parts and I'm guessing it will set be back more then shelling out $800 for the Process West.

No Idea on the forum. I was offline for awhile and missed a lot.

After brainstorming last night, Isn't the VF52 the same compressor as the VF34? In essence, maybe a VF52 cover might swap right on or, put a VF52 wheel on the VF36. (I'm cringing at the latter thought but am grasping at straws here.) I thought I read somewhere that the flow of the 52 wheel was the same as the 34? I'll bet its the same if it does! The VF36/37 is the same compressor wheel as the 34.

I may have the answers you need; I have VF36, 37, 38, 39, 40 & 52 as with VF22, 30 & 34. If I understand correctly, you would like to know if the VF40 comp cover fits the VF36 backplate... it does. As I'm sure you know, machining of your VF40 cover will be required to fit the larger profile of the VF36 wheel. The VF52 cover, though I have yet to pull it's cover off, "seems" like it would not require machining to fit the 36 comp wheel profile - if any it would be minimal - but don't quote me on it. IF that is in fact your true goal, your plan (VF52 cover on remaining VF36) cause, with all due respect, I am not into doing it just to "see"... if you know what I mean, to help you out I can however spend a bit of time to confirm it for you, again only if that's where you're aiming to go with your project I am willing to get that info for a fellow member/enthusiast :)

At any rate pm me if you'd like more details.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

That's exactly where I'm going with this. Mike at Blouch used to do the vf40 cover mod for the TS but it looks like he doesn't want that biz anymore. I'm getting a VF52 core that I'm swapping a VF40 core for and hopefully I'll have the answers soon. The cool thing is that if the 52 cover swaps on without modification it will mean it will also most likely swap with a VF34/30 and so on. If not I have an idea where to "relocate" the intercooler other than a front mount. (which I do not want to do at this point) I need to take some more measurements but it will be cool if it works out. I was also thinking about doing the STi swap but it looks like I will not be able to push the air volume necessary to offset the larger STi intercooler size. (Even with the Stanza bonnet on)

You have a more impressive turbo collection than me and I thought I was a little obsessive with collecting the turbos. ;) (2 VF40's, 2 46's, 36 and a 37)

Hopefully the VF52 cover will swap right on the 36/37. Thanks for the reply!

• 2 weeks later...
So, the VF39 will swap with the VF52 cover. I have it from another source that the VF39 swaps covers with the VF37. So it looks like at the very least the VF52 will swap onto the VF37. I believe the VF37 and VF36 use the same compressor wheel (As does the VF34) so it looks like I am set. Now I just need the VF52 cover! (And my AVO T/S bellmouth to arrive)

Yes, I highly suspected that the comp wheels you've mentioned were all the same, short of the VF52 simply because I've been swamped on other stuff and haven't taken the time needed to go and check. I'm 99.999% sure (only because it's been several months) that the VF30, 34, 36, 37 & 39 are all the same profile and to sort of confirm this, there's an eBay supplier that I've purchased parts from whom I've discussed this around a year ago that did confirm with me similar questions I had... no business relationship here but here's an example of the wheels; notice the identical item #'s on both links

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Compressor-Wheel-IHI-RHF55-SUBARU-VF39-VF41-VF43-/380319224856?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588ccad418

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Compressor-Wheel-IHI-RHF55-SUBARU-VF30-VF35-VF37-/180630579941?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0e6beae5

Anyhow, if you are stuck and can't find a way out, these guys (http://www.dallasturbo.com/index.html), that do all my balance and machining work I've been dealing with for many years and have had no problem with them (not the nightmare I got from Deadbolt btw)... they will machine your VF40 comp cover to fit a larger wheel profile for about 100 bucks not including shipping , may have gone up though, they just don't get into fitting comp wheels with oversized/larger center borehole-to-turbine shaft, but they're good and reliable.... you can actually call and speak to someone.

Good on you and keep up the good work :)

Mike

Thanks Mike!

I will give them a call. I figured since I was not looking to add an upgraded compressor wheel or anything exotic I figured it would be easy. (I was sure wrong) Scroll Products will also have their facility built out here in N.Y. in a month or so and I might wait and give them a try since they are a short ride away. Either way, I want to try out the VF52 cover also just for the sake of seeing it to completion.

Hmmm, I just saw the ebay link. Does the 36 have a different wheel than the 37? I know the turbine is TiAl (or straight Ti) but I thought the compressors were the same? Maybe it's time to pull the covers of the 37 and 36 for some measurements.

The 36 and 37 compressor wheels are the same. Made a video that I'm emailing to vendors that cover the work that needs to be done in case the VF52 does not fit (all indications say it will) or if I fail to procure one:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETIQvXqNfHI]YouTube - Need to machine a USDM Legacy GT compressor cover to a JDM Twinscroll VF36/37.MP4[/ame]

• 4 weeks later...
Why not go with an eBay TMIC like I did? My VF-37 setup has been pretty strong, no issues apart from a now fried stock clutch.

Hi Deaks2,

I thought about it but I could not find one that would fit to my liking. (I'm trying to keep the stock engine cover intact) If all else fails i'll drop the money on the PW and fab a proper splitter but thats a last resort for me. Glad the setup has been running great for you! I can't wait to get this up and running.

Hmmm, I just saw the ebay link. Does the 36 have a different wheel than the 37? I know the turbine is TiAl (or straight Ti) but I thought the compressors were the same? Maybe it's time to pull the covers of the 37 and 36 for some measurements.

Compressors are definitely the same. Same as in VF39, etc.

Ok,

The VF52 cover is a perfect fit on the VF37. I need to buy a new digital caliper to measure the inside diameters of the inducer and exducer cover areas but the wheels look exactly the same. (And the fitment of the cover on the inducer is perfect looking at it assembled) So it looks like it is safe to say that the VF34, 36, 37, 39 and VF52 Legacy fitment all use the same compressor wheel and the VF52 cover will mount onto the STI mount turbos! (With the exception possibily being the VF22? or is the VF22 difference the turbine side?) Bryan is sending me a second cover and i'll test fit that one on the VF36 but according to what Unclemat just posted it will be the same. It is all basically much ado about nothing at this point but it's some good news for the IHI Twinscrollers out there who want to go stealth with a TMIC and a VF36/37. The VF42 has a larger compressor wheel (from what I've read, and also more blades on the turbine) so the 52 cover will likely not fit in that scenario. (Maybe VF22 sized?)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Just for the record (People have been asking) this is the easiest way I have found to remove the IHI compressor cover without damaging the compressor wheel. (If you bend a fin you are screwed)

The easiest way I have found to remove an IHI compressor cover is to:

1) Loosen the bolts

2) Re-tighten them by hand (So it will hold the cover to the mating surface when you try to rotate it)

3) Secure the turbo using a 2x4 with holes drilled for the turbine bolts and bolt it on

4) Secure the 2x4 in a vise

5) Insert a wood hammer handle into the IC inlet of the compressor cover

6) Put downward pressure on the compressor inlet while putting downward pressure on the hammer handle.

7) Be patient and gentle with it until it breaks the seal and rotates. Then remove the bolts and gently remove the compressor cover.

I have a VF43 I'm pulling apart next so I'll try to do pic's next time.

^ Good advice. I tried to do it more haphazardly and ended up bending the wheel.

How is the install coming?

Hey UncleMat!

Car is doing good. I had to stop at 257/330 because I ran out of injector. (Stock SF's at 94% IDC). Also I didn't want to blow up the 5EAT. (All of that torque is at 2750 RPM) I have a ClimberD modded VB that I might put in this weekend if I get the time and 850cc DW's. I'll probably retune in a month. I might make 30 more WHP at around 21PSI but I wont push it any more then that since the VF36 will be a flamethrower at that point. (Probably will do a Blouch XTR 2.5 T/S turbo next if I'm still wanting more)

I hope the cars are still treating you well!

Archived