LegacyGT.com

93 legacy loud noise/hestitation

I have a 93 legacy wagon, drove fine in the morning. Then later in the day go to start it and there was a loud noise coming from the front of the engine. When driving the noise continues and the acceleration is boggy/hesitate. Power steering is low all other fluids are fine. Any help would be appreciated.

the spark plugs are fine. The noise is nothing I've ever heard it's horrid, sounds like a semi would sound like I guess. no grinding sound. Think it's coming from the crank area/water pump hard to pinpoint it with it being so loud. Bogging acceleration when you floor it hardly getting any speed. Couple friends say it might be the crank bearings.

The crank bearings wouldn't just go like that, unless one broke into pieces and came out. Still, this would cause vibration more than anything. The engine would easily be powerful enough to overcome the broken bearing and almost accelerate like normal. The problem with crank bearings is they would let the vibration break other things... Like con-rod cap bolts, main bearing cap bolts, possibly even a wrist pin or an entire connecting rod. It is highly unlikely that this is the source of the problem.

Try the timing belt. My thinking is the timing belt is letting go and the slack is causing the belt to rub the plastic cover, causing the noise. The performance loss is due to the altered timing, as the belt would've no doubt skipped a few teeth on the camshafts. Same exact thing happened to my friends Ford Contour about a month ago. I work with him, and he came into work and said his car was running really bad and making strange noises. When the roach coach came I took the timing belt cover off and found the belt had given up and there was enough slack for it to jump a few teeth on the camshafts, causing the timing to get messed up. He bought a new car 2 days later.

here's a video of my engine. no check engine light on either. still don't know what the problem is hopefully I get it looked at tomorrow.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsOqlnbLRP4]YouTube - 93 subaru legacy turbo wagon engine problem[/ame]

Archived