LegacyGT.com

Restrictor Pill on a TD-06 18g set up

Perfect Dark

So I think I finally have all of my mechanical issues behind me, boost seems to be holding well and the car is running great. The only thing left to determine is why we can't seem to make the power that the turbo is capable of.

I am currently using the stock LGT pill...what should I be using? I have one from an 06 WRX that I could use but I want to make sure it will be the right one.

I have logs that want to put up but not sure how, so I am willing to PM them if anyone would like to take a look-see.

Thanks!

It depends upon a lot of factors.

I keep all three generic sizes on hand: 0.8, 1.0, and 1.2 mm. Start with the largest pill. If WGDC is > 70%, go down to the next smaller size.

In general, the stock LGT restrictor pill is too large. It is approximately 1.25 mm. If you have the WG actuator set to open at 8 psi, then you should go with a 1.0 mm pill.

Set your WGDC max table to 0 and do a 3rd gear log. Plot MRP vs rpm. The kink in the plot is where the WG opened. I usually set it to between 8 to 10 psi depending upon the turbo. You definitely want the wastegate to be seated when it is closed. If you tune your boost and you see a kink in boost at high rpm, then you'll need a higher WG preload due to EGBP opening the wastegate. Unless your turbo was overported, this usually isn't a problem.

I don't think the restrictor pill will help you.

BTW, what is the ecu atmospheric pressure and what is the ambient temperature? Are you using an aftermarket intake?

The ambient pressure is ~12.9psi (~3500')

Whoops. I didn't see that you had logged Patm.

Your boost and load are not that unusual given that you are at a slightly higher altitude. You can try raising your boost target by 1 psi across the board and see if your acceleration gets better (or worse).

The reason that I said that a restrictor pill won't help you is that you are not yet bumping into the limit.

Don't reset your ecu or reflash it. After you've driven around a bit, try merchgod's learinng viewer and post up the CSV file.

Whoops. I didn't see that you had logged Patm.

Your boost and load are not that unusual given that you are at a slightly higher altitude. You can try raising your boost target by 1 psi across the board and see if your acceleration gets better (or worse).

The reason that I said that a restrictor pill won't help you is that you are not yet bumping into the limit.

Don't reset your ecu or reflash it. After you've driven around a bit, try merchgod's learinng viewer and post up the CSV file.

The WGDC that was logged is pretty much the limit set in Max WGDC table and the boost target is slightly above logged values. I guess it is rolling off a little like my VF-39 did when I had the stock BCS.

The WGDC that was logged is pretty much the limit set in Max WGDC table and the boost target is slightly above logged values. I guess it is rolling off a little like my VF-39 did when I had the stock BCS.

Yes, but the OP was asking why he couldn't increase the boost. My point is that he can (or you can) by increasing the MAX WGDC table to the MAX global WGDC (90%).

I would only change the pill to a smaller pill if WGDC was at 90% and you still can't hit target boost.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived