LegacyGT.com

Smoke on start up - New 08 spec.B

I went to the dealer and they had an 08 spec.B there. 102 miles on the odometer. They let me start it up and there was quite a smoke cloud coming from the tailpipe. It was a cold start, ambient temp about 80*F. It went away after about 5-10 seconds. My questions: Is that normal? Should I avoid getting this particular car?

I went to the dealer and they had an 08 spec.B there. 102 miles on the odometer. They let me start it up and there was quite a smoke cloud coming from the tailpipe. It was a cold start, ambient temp about 80*F. It went away after about 5-10 seconds. My questions: Is that normal? Should I avoid getting this particular car?

Most likely the factory accidentally managed to install a non hand selected motor in your Spec B. You have a regular LGT motor from the sound of it, as most of those use a little oil on start up.

My advice would be to take it back to the dealer and see if they can get Subaru to install a proper hand built Spec. B engine. Not only do they not use oil, but are significantly more powerful.

For more information PM Vimy 101, he can provide full details on how to take this case forward with Subaru of America (SOA).

Most likely the factory accidentally managed to install a non hand selected motor in your Spec B. You have a regular LGT motor from the sound of it, as most of those use a little oil on start up.

My advice would be to take it back to the dealer and see if they can get Subaru to install a proper hand built Spec. B engine. Not only do they notuse oil, but are significantly more powerful.

For more information PM Vimy 101, he can provide full details on how to take this case forward with Subaru of America (SOA).

:lol::lol::lol:

What color was the smoke? If it was white, it was probably just moisture in the exhaust burning off. I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, it'll still be under warranty.

I'm going to have to say it was slightly blue, mostly white. I really don't think it was moisture. There was a lot of smoke and it was going into the cabin and didn't look normal. Salesman agreed. My old 87 Mercedes diesel makes less smoke on start up, if that means anything. Warranty or not, I'm tired of dealing with stuff like that. I'm not going to buy a car that's defective from the start. If its normal, cool. But if not, I'll just work on getting the one at another dealer. That's all I want to know since I'm new to Subaru's and the engines. The one I test drove at the other dealer I mentioned already had the car warmed up so I don't know about that one.

don't i remember a dealer hold on on certain 08' models due to engine failure?

I checked it and it was a pre-"stop sale" model. Regardless, it can be concluded that smoke = not normal and I won't be considering purchasing that car.

My advice would be to take it back to the dealer and see if they can get Subaru to install a proper hand built Spec. B engine. Not only do they not use oil, but are significantly more powerful.

And you think that sarcasm comes across in writing, on a forum, on the internet. Not everybody may be as all knowing as you when it comes to cars and take what you said literally - much less someone who has come onto the forum to ask a question and gets hit with this ridiculously stupid waste of time. Sarcasm is unnecessary. If you can't help, leave it alone!

Check out the 'rules' page, along with being respectful and what not, it also includes the following:

"This site is only as good as the content, experience and information you, the members contribute..." Thats all I have to say.

And you think that sarcasm comes across in writing, on a forum, on the internet. Not everybody may be as all knowing as you when it comes to cars and take what you said literally - much less someone who has come onto the forum to ask a question and gets hit with this ridiculously stupid waste of time. Sarcasm is unnecessary. If you can't help, leave it alone!

Check out the 'rules' page, along with being respectful and what not, it also includes the following:

"This site is only as good as the content, experience and information you, the members contribute..." Thats all I have to say.

Well said!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thats all I have to say.

To the OP, use the search function, or PM Vimy101.

i say go back and start it up again. Maybe it was at the dealer for awhile, just sitting there. If it does it again, STAY AWAY!

I'm not even going to bother. I'm going to just strike this one off the list and work on the one at the other dealer. I liked that one better anyways. 20 less miles, center arm-rest extension, and less pushy salesmen.

Besides, if all the spec.B's in my city disappear (there are only these 2 spec.B's total of the 3 dealers) or I find a bad fault in the other one, I'll just wait for the 09's. ;) I have time.

There is another explanation too, and since this is an engine with horizontal cylinders there is a possibility that some oil had built up on the cylinder wall and leaked by the piston while the car was standing still with just a slight leaning to one side and entered the combustion chamber. It doesn't take much for this to occur and I have had that "feature" on my old '92 and it always occurred randomly. It also didn't have any excessive oil consumption.

This was also noted on a new car by a testing team here in Sweden, but no other ill effects.

So not all oil smoke is something to worry about, you also have to check the oil consumption before starting to worry.

One contributing factor can be if the gap in the piston rings/oil rings happen to be at the bottom which makes it easier for oil to leak by. And a new engine may also have rougher cylinder walls that increases the risk of a slight leak.

So I would play it cool and just have that little effect noted in the sales documents in case there is a warranty issue coming up.

453747.png

Penguin... knock it off, please.

Awwww......OK.:)

To the OP there are a number of things that cold have caused the smoke/steam you observed on start up. Condensation is one of the more likely culprits, but another strong possibility is the car was burning a little bit of oil or unused fuel on start up. Cars that sit on dealer lots for long periods of time without being driven will frequently display a smoke or steam on start up. Given enough time small amounts of oil can get past the valves etc into the combustion chamber, and will burn off very quickly on start up.

So long as the smoke does not persist it is nothing to worry about.

Archived