LegacyGT.com

Hey everyone, was active a long time ago when I had my '05 Legacy which my family tra

Hey everyone, was active a long time ago when I had my '05 Legacy which my family traded in while I was away for work. I'm looking to get back into a Legacy and have been glad to see that these cars seem to be holding up relatively well.

What are some ailments that I should be looking for in high-mileage 4th Gen. Legacy's? I don't want to buy a car and be faced with catastrophic failure in a month or two.

A possible weak link in these cars is the oil pickup. What else?

P.S. Sorry if there's already a thread on this, please point me in the right direction.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

It looks like you just started typing . . :lol:

Bad turbos, bad engines, poor maintenance, neglect. . The list goes on and on.

If you can find one with lower miles that hasn't been thrashed, pull the trigger ASAP.

Other than that, it sounds like you know what you're looking for -

Good luck, and welcome back!

Wheel bearings? One of mine was failing when I bought my LGT... I talked to the dealer into including the new part for me so I could have it replaced.

Clean examples exist - but they seem hard to find. I occasionally look around for them just for shits and giggles... i have yet to see one as clean and low-mileage'd (clearly not a word) as mine was. GLWS.

Welcome back to the community!

As far as warning signs, goes I would check for oil line leaks or bad seals, turbo noises out of the norm, poor oil change history or lack thereof. In general just an overall lack of proper maintenance is a big warning sign on any car and especially an LGT.

Wheel bearings are a big problem for these cars and definitely something to watch out for, not a particularly difficult part to replace but they are pricey and if you don't get OEM replacements it will only cause more trouble down the line.

These cars are easier to find clean examples of in my opinion, however they usually do have higher mileage. As long as maintenance is kept up on properly higher mileage isn't a huge issue, so long as the turbo gets proper care as well.

My LGT right now is a 2007 with close to 114,000 on the clock however I got a new short block, turbo and all other major components replaced with Subaru genuine parts back in January. There is now 3,500 miles on the new motor, and she's running smooth as ever. I just switched to Rotella T6 on the last oil change and have been noticing she's quieter and there is ABSOLUTELY no burning smell as there was with the original synthetic in the car.

However, I am possibly considering selling her within the next few months so if it's something you'd like to learn more about, feel free to PM me.

Good luck on your search and I hope you are able to start becoming a regular face around here!

I've got an 05 Legacy Stage 2 5EAT that has had a new block, with forged pistons and new vf40. Strut bar braces, stainless brake lines, slotted rotors, hawk HPS pads and master cyl brace. Just put on new P7 tires.

115k on the clock. 20k on the new motor. 300 miles on the new turbo. Old turbo was replaced due to leaking oil seals.

If you're interested in buying, let me know. no rust anywhere!

It would be easier if I put what hasn't been replaced on my wagon.

both rear axles and the right front axle, propeller shaft fuel pump and injectors, engine sensors, PS pump, AC and alternator, radiator, capilers. That's about it for the major wear items.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for all the helpful responses guys.

MaxCapacity, I've been reading up on your engine build thread, hope to see your car in person some day. Regional meet?

I also dug up this thread on reliability modifications, which can be used to glean common points of failure. Also a good resource for if/when I find the right car.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

My 05 lgt has almost 150k on it. Turbo replaced, passenger cv axle/ball joints control arms(jdm) passenger wheel bearing. But she runs strong. Was always well maintained by previous owner(doctor).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkk. Mgs

Archived