LegacyGT.com

Ignition wont turn from accessory mode to lock

I was driving my outback today and after I parked the car kept beeping and I couldn't figure out why. It turned out that the ignition cylinder will only go as far as the accessory position and wont go to the lock position.

I am going to get a new key made tomorrow but in the mean time, will my car battery drain out tonight?

The radio is off and no lights will turn on so I think I am ok but I am not 100%

Any thoughts?

i had this happen once in a friends car. turns out i was so used to my 5mt trans, i didnt remember to drop his into park. sat there for 45 minutes until one of my buds told me it wasnt in park...

ive had 5 keys made for my car so far, one of them works well enough to use so far.

Try pushing the key in deeper while you turn it. Some of the older models are made that way so you don't lock the wheel by accident while the car is moving.

In an emergency like if the throttle sticks, turning off the ignition will kill the engine, but you still need steering.

• 6 months later...
Thanks for the potential ways to fix this problem. At the point I am still having problems with it and I am taking it to the dealer in 2 days. I took it to a local shop and they told me I needed a new key cylinder at the price of $300. So, I will see what my options are and if worst comes to worst Ill just buy one and put it in myself.

Archived