LegacyGT.com

Sti Master Brake cylinder swap Qs

darkside

yes. with an extra very.

chances are you won't be able to properly bleed it at all and will end up with a lot of air in the abs module. And I have actually experienced this, where the only way to get things to work was to pull the MC and bench bleed it.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's necessarily difficult. Just time and fluid consuming.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 2 weeks later...

It seems the STI booster is actually alittle thinner.

*Note: for those using a power bleeder: it is not necessary to bench bleed your MC, but for those of you doing it the good ole fashioned you really want to look into it*

it is actually very easy to bench bleed an MC. stick it in a vice, run a couple short pieces of silicone tubing from the ports into the reservior, fill with fluid, pump repeatedly. takes 2 min, makes the whole process go much more smoothly.

Anybody know if the brake fluid reservoir for the LGT is the same as the brake fluid reservoir on the STi? I picked up an '06 STi M/C and booster a little while ago, but it didn't come with the reservoir. Just wondering if I can swap the reservoir that's currently on my car over to the STi master when I have time to do the swap or if I need to pick up an STi reservoir. Anyone know if the reservoirs are interchangeable? Visually they look pretty close...

yes. with an extra very.

chances are you won't be able to properly bleed it at all and will end up with a lot of air in the abs module. And I have actually experienced this, where the only way to get things to work was to pull the MC and bench bleed it.

will "Motive Power Bleeder" help on that??

Sorry I misunderstood. Makes sense. I should be getting my booster/MC combo within the next week. If you have not found the answer by then, I can take a look at both of mine if you'd like.

Well, I looked up the pats on OpposedForces and it lists different part numbers for the '05 LGT brake reservoir and the '06 STi brake reservoir. (26451AC010 for the LGT and 26451AC000 for the STi). Now my question is...will the LGT one work on the STi M/C? The port holes visually "look" to be in the same location, but who knows...would have to actually try to fit the LGT one to the STi master to know for sure, but since the one is still installed on my car I can't easily do that. :lol: Hmm...was gonna try to do my Booster and M/C swap this weekend, but maybe i'll have to wait and just get myself an STi reservoir. Would hate to take it all apart only to find that the reservoir doesn't fit...

Installing the booster and M/C this weekend. Can anyone clue me in how the booster is removed from the firewall? Do you unbolt it from inside the car, under the dash? I was pulling my clutch last night and gave it a quick look over, but didn't see anything obvious.

yep, there are 4 nuts behind the brake pedal that hold the booster in. The biggest pain in the ass for me was getting those 4 nuts off, for me it was a mixture of contorting and patience.

To my understanding from reading this thread..

1. You need a 04-05 STI Master Cylinder and Brake Booster

2. You need the check valve from the STI. Take it out of STI hose and shove it in the LGT hose with a BIC pen(cap off). The bullet side of the check valve goes towards the engine and the flat side goes towards the firewall.

3. Bench bleed the MC before install or use a power bleeder.

4. Make sure the rod length on the new STI booster is the same as the LGT booster

5. Install everything and bleed the brakes.

Did I miss anything?

Assuming someone who's never done a Master Cylinder before and doesn't have a power bleeder, how long should this procedure take?

• 1 month later...

Posted in the other thread as well, just did mine today. Long story short it helped the pedal firm up a little, but there is still a bit of the "nothing happening" at the top of pedal travel (right as you start to press it down). It did help get rid of a bit of the mush out of the pedal. For the ~100 bucks I paid for the booster/MBC, and a few quarts of fluid for the various flushes I did, I would say it is definitely worth it. Now for pads, SS lines and some ATE superblue.

-Steve