LegacyGT.com

2005 legacy gt .help.

I have a 2005 legacy gt, ran good until turbo blew. I replaced turbo then car started to lag a little at around 1500 -2500 rpm. Progressively got worse. Only 1000 miles on new turbo. Then no low-end power. Brought to performance shop had bad up and down pipe installed new still no low end power... anybody that can help.. car looks beautiful and car it self is in great shape hate to junk it. But I bought for 3500$ put 2500 in it between turbo and pipes. Shop said 5000$ for replacement motor with 25000 miles. .. help please thanks for reading.

*Elephant in the room* When we say turbo was replaced, was this a "I took the blown one out and dropped the new one in it's place" situation? As in no parts internally were cleaned and no banjo filters inspected?

What they're getting at... if the turbo blew before you replaced it, most likely it sent metal particles into your engine. Now you may need a new short-block due to the unseen damage. I wouldn't put a used motor in your car for that price. While that may not be your issue, it seems to be a recurring problem here after turbo failures.

Check out east coast swappers they have good prices on engine swaps.

When my turbo imploded 35k miles ago at 70k miles I had the engine flushed twice. I haven't had any issues. Did you flush the motor?

$5k is a lot of ging to spend broh...

yeah have plenty of boost. no low end power. like floor it and nothing. above 3000 rpm plenty of power

I would hazard a guess that your first turbo grenaded? If so, then all of what has been said here is truth. If it self destructed and broke the shaft or was slamming on the housings, metal has most definitely been introduced into the engine. If you caught it in time and didn't drive it at all after it blew, several flush oil changes may do the trick. If not, then you are on borrowed time.

With that being said and assuming that you have done the flushes and the engine is actually healthy, you most likely have several things going on at once. I would certainly check for boost leaks as that's a good place to start. TMIC tanks can leak easily, TB hose can leak easily, BPV can leak easily, TMIC to turbo connection is always a leak point unless measures have been taken in advance, and ALL of the vacuum hoses can leak easily. Each and every hose needs to be zip tied in place to prevent it from popping off.

I also would check for exhaust leaks as if there is a leak pre turbo, it will definitely affect the spool and from your description of late boost, I would believe that could certainly be the culprit too. Listen for a sput sput or a whistle and wet your hands and feel around all of the flanges at every connection and see if you feel exhaust escaping.

Good luck with it. If you do end up needing a new short block/engine rebuild, there are many with solid experience on here that I'm sure will be willing to help you, me included. Don't take any shortcuts and don't take anything for granted. When the car is correct, it will be the coolest car you've ever owned and the most fun too. It's worth the work.

Archived