LegacyGT.com

Hard Starting Outdoors

My wife's '05 2.5i starts like a champ in the garage... but when the car sits in her school parking lot all day - and the weather's in the 30's - she says it makes a funny clicking sound and has trouble starting.

The battery is less than a year old - Red Top Optima. Readings:

. With car off: 12.4

. Car on: 14.4

. Car and all accys on: 14.4

...Seems like battery & alternator are strong.

I cleaned the battery terminals. Still the same result, and only outdoors. Plugs & wires are 1 year old.

Not sure if that's enough info to make these suspect:

. Battery ground cable (I don't know how to test this)

. Coolant Temp Sensor

Thanks for any steerage!

Chuck

• Moderators
What about the starter? Mine sounds like it's starting to need a bit of TLC (will probably rebuild it) and it's an '05. I also notice a difference in how it starts in the garage vs sitting outside. It's likely just much colder overall outside and the starter doesn't like it.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Battery, have it tested. Next time just save some money and buy a normal battery. Paid $80.00 for the Max Everstart at walmart 3/4 years ago.

My car sits outside 24/7, it was 16F yesterday morning, car starts every time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I would also suggest the battery. It doesn't matter what the voltages are at idle or with the car off, what matters is what happens to the voltage during starting. Voltage drop caused by the cold weather and maybe a questionable starter could easily cause what you saw.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived