LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

no soldering is required - I just taped my GLI to the back of the stereo.

Jazzy - I just installed my kit today - it is freaking AWESOME.

I ran the radio input cable to the center console - tucked a cheap audio switch in there - and ran one of the inputs back to my XM commander unit, and the other input is left open for my MP3 player.

everything works great - no noise or volume issues at all with the XM unit or my MP3 player.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there a remote control solution for the ipod kit?

I have been looking at the griffin airclick, but realized it uses a headphone out jack.

If I get the ipod jazzy kit which has the ipod cable, it don't plug into the airclick. Is there something else out there which will allow remote control and also allow the ipod cable?

Reason being, I want my ipod to be charging and outputting audio at the same using the single ipod cable.

I just read the the specs for the griffen airclick - and it looks like it should still work with the jazzy thing....

It plugs in to the headphone jack on the top of the ipod (and has a passthrough so you can still plug in headphones), but it doesnt disrupt the audio ouput through the bottom apple connector s0 you should still be able to plug in the ipod connector to the bottom of the ipod. I was reading through the griffen manual and it says that in that configuration the volume control won't work. (the bottom connector provides a constant line out level) but you will have all other controls.

I'm not exactly sure why you wasted time/money/space installing an audio selector switch (and an ugly one at that).

Why not just split the wire under the console with a basic Y-splitter for 99 cents? As long as you play one unit at a time, you'll only hear one unit at a time. Of course, if you play an MP3 player and satellite radio simultaneously, you're going to hear both overlapping, but I'd think the average person could just...umm...NOT play 2 things at once?

I ran a 3 foot wire from behind my stereo to under my center console and installed the GLI in there - seemed to be more space to work with and avoids possible overheating issues by blocking the heatsink and keeping the GLI in an already tight and poorly ventilated area. Also gives more slack to run the wire(s) into your storage bin (drill a small hole) or run the wire through the e-brake rubber or under the plastic next to either seat.

I just read the the specs for the griffen airclick - and it looks like it should still work with the jazzy thing....

It plugs in to the headphone jack on the top of the ipod (and has a passthrough so you can still plug in headphones), but it doesnt disrupt the audio ouput through the bottom apple connector s0 you should still be able to plug in the ipod connector to the bottom of the ipod. I was reading through the griffen manual and it says that in that configuration the volume control won't work. (the bottom connector provides a constant line out level) but you will have all other controls.

Sounds good....i'll probably order one soon.

I'm not exactly sure why you wasted time/money/space installing an audio selector switch (and an ugly one at that).

Why not just split the wire under the console with a basic Y-splitter for 99 cents? As long as you play one unit at a time, you'll only hear one unit at a time. Of course, if you play an MP3 player and satellite radio simultaneously, you're going to hear both overlapping, but I'd think the average person could just...umm...NOT play 2 things at once?

I ran a 3 foot wire from behind my stereo to under my center console and installed the GLI in there - seemed to be more space to work with and avoids possible overheating issues by blocking the heatsink and keeping the GLI in an already tight and poorly ventilated area. Also gives more slack to run the wire(s) into your storage bin (drill a small hole) or run the wire through the e-brake rubber or under the plastic next to either seat.

If I have both the Ipod and satellite plugged in (not both on) I get some very funky sounds....

If I have both the Ipod and satellite plugged in (not both on) I get some very funky sounds....

that was my concern... right now i've got my selector switch out of the way and it works really well.... I may get a sleeker one down the road at some point - but i'm not too worried about it yet.

Strange. I have my Sirius and Zune both plugged in nearly always and never hear a peep from them on the speakers or from the units, even while charging the zune.

My brother using his iPod on it, however, makes noise while charging, but not while audio only is being used.

I got my kit a few months ago and installation went well. However, it wasn't perfect. I must have shook the disc-changer too much or something because it didn't want to accept any cd's after I replaced it. I took it out, jiggled it a bit, shrugged and put it back in. This time it accepted the silent CD just fine and I instantly fell in love.

until

this last weekend when I (finally) tried adding a 2nd disc I didn't have on my iPod yet. The changer wouldn't accept it. Knowing something was wrong I ejected the silent disc and tried re-inserting it and now this disc gets spit out as well. Before I pull everything out again and... well, I dunno, jiggle it some more(?) is there an obvious problem here? :confused:

edit: to be more specific, here is what happens: I insert the disc, I hear it spin, then the changer spits it out. It does this exact thing regardless of which slot I try.

I've tried being sneaky and inserting a 2nd disc before the first one gets ejected. (selecting a different slot and pressing the insert button) I can get away with it but then when I switch back to the first disc, after the 2nd has been rejected of course, the first spins up and gets spat out as well.

Jazzy - I just bought your board off of COZ and installed it this morning. Works excellent! Now I'm just trying to figure out how to re-wire my Sirius Starmate for a clean-looking install... I hate those stupid docking cradles and all the space they eat up!

Expect my order for GLI and iPod interface soon (I feel I owe it to you to order these since I bought your board second-hand) ;)

One thing I found is that the Subie doesn't like the Silent CDs burned by Roxio. I used iTunes and it worked fine.

A question/comment about installation: are there particular hot spots in the radio that we should be aware of when routing the audio patch cable? I zip tied mine to the chassis in a few strategic places... should have taken pics to supplement. Otherwise, thanks for a very detailed installation manual!

I got my kit a few months ago and installation went well. However, it wasn't perfect. I must have shook the disc-changer too much or something because it didn't want to accept any cd's after I replaced it. I took it out, jiggled it a bit, shrugged and put it back in. This time it accepted the silent CD just fine and I instantly fell in love.

until

this last weekend when I (finally) tried adding a 2nd disc I didn't have on my iPod yet. The changer wouldn't accept it. Knowing something was wrong I ejected the silent disc and tried re-inserting it and now this disc gets spit out as well. Before I pull everything out again and... well, I dunno, jiggle it some more(?) is there an obvious problem here? :confused:

edit: to be more specific, here is what happens: I insert the disc, I hear it spin, then the changer spits it out. It does this exact thing regardless of which slot I try.

I've tried being sneaky and inserting a 2nd disc before the first one gets ejected. (selecting a different slot and pressing the insert button) I can get away with it but then when I switch back to the first disc, after the 2nd has been rejected of course, the first spins up and gets spat out as well.

Well - this is a little late now - sorry, I dunno why I don't get notifications sometimes. Anyway - what you describe sounds a lot like what happens on the extra CD player I have on my desk. I knocked it off the desk at one point & it landed pretty hard on the floor. In the process, it broke the mechanism that "grips" the CD to spin it up after it changes disks. For some reason, it doesn't have any problem spinning it up once it's "gripped" it once, but if I eject it or change CD's, I have to sorta mess with it to get it to "take hold" the first time or it will just spin w/o the CD & eventually spit it back out like a bad CD.

You didn't *drop* your CD player did you?

A question/comment about installation: are there particular hot spots in the radio that we should be aware of when routing the audio patch cable?
Not that I know of...the MOFSET is at the back of the radio & screwed into the giant heat sink. Everything else should be fairly passive.

Glad your install went well & you're enjoying the board. You can order the other parts from me if you want - my prices are about the same as everyone else. Of course, that means you can get them from pretty much anywhere else too. ;)

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Ok, so I need to apologize immediately for posting this, but I couldn't sit here for however many more hours it would take me to go through all the pages in this post.

My dilemma is that I have a '06 Spec.B and I looked for several hours to find some info about a aux in mod for it and I know that the DVD Navi is a Kenwood product so am I totally wrong in assuming, after hours of searching everywhere from NASIOC to Kenwood to Subaru.com, that the stereo is also a Kenwood product?? Anyways if you could just direct me to the correct page of the post or something it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

AFAIK - your stereo is basically the same as ours - and therefore made by Panasonic/Matsushita. Only the Japanese made Legacy/Outbacks have OEM Kenwood stereos...AFAIK...
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Hey guys - I know a few of you are probably struggling with non-line level output devices :: aka, headphone jacks = low volume. I've found a few devices out there that "work" ok, but nothing that really fits in with this setup terribly well. A few guys on the Saabaru forums seem to have stubmled across a good, cheap, simple pre-amp though that I thought I'd pass the word on for...I haven't had a chance to try it on my laptop & Archos yet, but they swear by it. Anyway, I figured a few of yas might be interested. ;)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103656&cp=&sr=1&origkw=headphones+booster&kw=headphones+booster&parentPage=search

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2266226w345.jpg

Which model should i get? I dont have an ipod (booo apple and their crappy itunes) but i would still like to connect my mp3 player to my HU. i see the ipod version has a noise filter, will that help with any mp3 player?

subie I would recommend the Subaru Aux-in pro kit. Since you don't need the ipod adapter that would be awesome for you. The GLI (Ground loop interrupt) will prevent humming in the playback, recommended by many from reading the posts.