LegacyGT.com

XT - Bilstein BTS kit as offered in JDM - see link

Bilstein Kit BTS 5056J has a street price in Japan of $1250.00 USD or less.

This JDM (Japanese domestic market) tire retailer among others advertises a street price for the Bilstein BTS 5056J kit @ JPY 128 890, or with todays exchange rate, USD $1238.00. (price includes JDM taxes) The BTS 5056J kit is listed about half way down the page. Once located, scroll to the far right and find the pathway to the Bilstein site. (Alternative pathway to link shown below)

http://www.hirano-tire.co.jp/bil/bil4.htm

Bilstein product discription. http://www.bilstein.co.jp/pdf/outback_bts.pdf

Sport tuned ~ Struts, shocks, springs specific to the Outbacks (JDM) raised ride height.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to know - thanks for posting this.

Not to be a downer, but personally-speaking, I'll hold off getting too excited over this until someone from the board takes the plunge and installs a set.

I would've ponied up for the Megan Racing coilovers if it weren't for all the buzz about their quality/longevity. At the very least, I do have some experience with Bilstein and know them to be a quality product.

Thanks again--

Tim

Hey Tim, A down side of the "enhancement hobby" is sourcing a replacement part should a failure happen. My experience has been at times the original source is no longer in business or the part is superseded, etc. I recall a Sunbeam Alpine project growing up as a kid; remember JC Whitney Co? Never twice the same parts! Anyway, what I’d like to say is, me thinks the Bilstein kit is a low risk enhancement and considering the notorious long life cycle, that of a high quality strut/shock/spring arrangement, I’d say it’s a low, low risk. As for the BTS Kits ride character, those in the JDM that have it rave. (Performance speaking, there is only one direction to go coming from the stock XT suspension ~)

The coilover offerings specific to the Outback (XT) we’re once the only game in town and I dare say that had the JDM Bilstein BTS kit been a choice way back when, that plenty of those whom bought coilovers would have thought twice.

I and a few early MY05 XT owners played around with the coilover offerings only to reinstall the stock components. YES the handling improved just as expected, however it was the coilover’s minuscule compliance range and the heightened NVH that drove the reinstall decision. We wanted a better mouse trap than what the coilover provided.

Alleluia!! Along comes a High Performance strut/spring/shock arrangement tailor made for the sporting hwy/city street use these spirited XT vehicles are likely to see. Add better brakes (real brakes) and the XT is twice the vehicle Subaru of America intended. Our seriously weak currency and the generous profit strata by any commercial importer will all but kill the notion of using the JDM Bilstein Kit strategy. For some Outback owners the coilover arrangement will (at its price point) maintain an appeal.

Should we start contemplating the idea of a Group Purchase? Economy of scale would be what? If we had the bottom line imported price down to something other than its present stupid level – how many XT owners here would be comitted buyer's?

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Hey Tim, A down side of the "enhancement hobby" is sourcing a replacement part should a failure happen. My experience has been at times the original source is no longer in business or the part is superseded, etc. As we speak I’m recalling a Sunbeam Alpine project growing up as a kid; remember JC Whitney Co? Never twice the same parts! Anyway, what I’d like to say is, me thinks the Bilstein kit is a low risk enhancement and considering the notorious long life cycle, that of a high quality strut/shock/spring arrangement, I’d say it’s a low, low risk. As for the BTS Kits ride character, those in the JDM that have it rave. (Performance speaking, there is only one direction to go coming from the stock XT suspension ~)

The coilover offerings specific to the Outback (XT) we’re once the only game in town and I dare say had the JDM Bilstein BTS kit been a choice back with the XTs market introduction to late 2006, plenty of those whom bought coilovers would have thought twice.

I and a few early MY05 XT owners played around with the coilover offerings only to reinstall the stock components. YES the handling improved just as to expected, however it was the coilover’s minuscule compliance range and the heightened NVH that drove the reinstall decision. We wanted a better mouse trap than what the coilover provided. Alleluia!! Along comes a high performance strut/spring/shock arrangement tailor made for the sporting hwy/city street use these XT vehicles are likely to see. Add better brakes and the XT is twice the vehicle Subaru of America intended. Our seriously weak currency and the generous profit strata by a commercial importer will all but kill the notion of using the JDM Bilstein Kit strategy. For some Outback owners the coilover arrangement will (at a price point) maintain its appeal.

Should we start contemplating the idea of a Group Purchase? Economy of scale would be what? If we had the bottom line imported price down to something other than its present stupid level – how many XT owners here would be comitted buyer's?

Mornin', MS-

I agree with everything you've stated above.

Ah yes--good ol' JC Whitney...used to day-dream looking through the pages of cool and mostly useless things I wanted to buy for my first ride (a '77 Jeep Renegade). What a bunch of crap! ;)

I contemplated the coilovers back when the group buy here was going on, but chickened out; at the time, my car was still under warranty, I use it as a daily driver and--by the way--cost is a huge factor (married, 1 one year old and another on the way--so I'm not exactly in "risk taking" mode right now....yikes!).

In addition to the 'quality/longevity' question on the MR coilovers, also I wasn't sure I wanted to cross into the realm of non-OEM because I'm still having the dealer do most of the work on my car--that **could** mean I would have to source a good indy mechanic or find a tuner shop somewhere. And you know what they say about "good dentists" and "good (honest) mechanics"...HOLD ONTO THEM UNTIL THEY WRONG YOU--OR YOU FIND A BETTER ONE ;)

So, like I said--I agree with your thoughts on this being fairly 'low-risk/high gain', but would still like to hear how this setup plays out once someone here has it. At that point if it's as good as it sounds, I'll find a way to come up with the $$ 'cause after almost 4 years of ownership (and all the typical OB annoyances you've talked about), I'm in serious need of 're-kindling my love affair' with my OB ;)

Keep me posted--and again, thanks for the info.

Tim

I have the MR Outback coilover... I'm not sure it's going to workout.. so I have strong interest.

What is it that you're "not sure it's going to work out"? Is the ride charactor of the Outback installed coilover's that is at issue? Or something else?

Cheers, Mike

Would a domestic Bilstein dealer be able to special order this kit? I've got a few friends in the industry that I might hit up.

I am going on a road trip down the coasts of Oregon and California in September, and would like to have my crappy suspension fixed before then.

Would a domestic Bilstein dealer be able to special order this kit? I've got a few friends in the industry that I might hit up.

The quick answer is no, and resoundingly so from Bilstein USA. I think Bilstein USA is tired of having to answer ~

The sole source would seem to be Bilstein Japan through its domestic distribution. Now, if you know a guy who knows a guy in the industry.... bring it on!

Cheers, Mike

Easton, now you're taking!! I'll hold off hiring an interpreter – for now. My thought was to arrange the purchase/shipment directly with the JDM supplier using the expertise of a hired Japanese interpreter. At the end of the day, the bottom line $ must be something within reach. The use of a commercial importer raises the cost level to that of stupid, IMHO. This has to be a grass roots effort.

Lemme know how I can assist. I can be a spoke in the wheel ~ My wife’s firm has a significant discount arrangement with the logistics guys at UPS Worldwide. This could influence the shipping cost for the better, although generally speaking, shipping costs worldwide are skyrocketing. Let’s work out the details making this Bilstein BTS5056J thing happen. Ring me on my cell # anytime (I’m in Atlanta this week, Vail all next week)

Cheers, Mike

just fyi - my issues are

a) I bought them to achieve stock ride heigth - working thru plan to fix that

b) out of box i'm getting clunking - I set 0 preload per Boostie direction but I think this is a function of the loss of travel with these units - i'm confirming

c) bump and hole compliance..

lastly, I have not gotten a straight answer from anyone what % of sag these are best set at to optimize bump compliance.. boostie just told me zero preload == 50% sag. Anyway.. working thru it.

jdkobe

I've not heard back form my friend yet, but I just had another idea.

Bilstein is a German product, and it is extremely likely that these are available there as well, seeing as how the outback is also available in Europe. Don't we have a few members over there serving in the military who might be able to help us out?

Good idea, the German market.

I checked with a known Subaru dealer in Germany right after learning of the kit and the Bilstein Kit BTS5056J is not offered, either by Subaru Deutschland or Bilstein Deutschland. My family lives in Germany so exporting/importing would be cake. The word around the campfire is this is a Bilstein Japan only produced product. Additionally, the Japan market has this kit at a street price of 128,900 yen or $1235.00 USD vs. the unrealistic Bilstein list price often qouted by the commercial parts importers; if the JDM street is 128,900 yen, what is the wholesale cost level. Go figure - there's plenty of margin!

I'd doubt the street price in Germany would be anything close - however a moot piont.

Cheers, Mike

Got it,

I think my friend must be out of town, because he never takes this long to respond. I will ping him again. I really need to get my car's handling corrected before taking a 2000 mile road trip on winding roads.

Paydirt!

I just got a message back from my buddy. He's got a Japanese speaking friend locally who has sent parts both ways in the past. He is going to contact this fellow with the kit number and figure out the process!

Hey Easton ~ I'm digging the "Pay dirt”! Nice work.

I too have been working on a pathway(s) in Japan to source the Bilstein kits. The way forward I thought would be for a contact in country to make the purchase and to request UPS Worldwide pickup the kits at the merchant, then ship onto the states. The shipping piece of this endeavor needs refinement ~ Me thinks we can do better $$ on the shipping piece. An alternate is to have the "mole" make the pickup, inspect the kit, and then the Accenture office Japan ships to the states. More later,, gotta zoom.

re: http://www.hirano-tire.co.jp/bil/bil4.htm

Cheers, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following this thread for a while and can no longer just lurk! Nearly since day one of the purchase of our '06 XT I've been searching for replacement struts. I followed a promising discussion here with a Koni engineer that ended with parts for the Legacy but not Outback. I've pestered a contact at KYB (based on a recommendation from RalliTEK) for the last year with no success. I've read everything on the MR coilovers and have some of the same concerns as MS. Then along comes Bilstein!

WOW, sign me up!

Thanks for digging into this MS, eston, and others!

My local indy (Smart Service in Seattle) would love to help me install these.

Bill

I think Mike may have had a set hand delivered from Japan over the weekend. Waiting to hear details. I've got a couple of guys ready to help out when we find a place to get a deal on them in Japan.

Let me know what the price comes down to after all is said and delivered.I have a buddy that's a USAF S.E.A.R.S instructor in Okinawa.Might be able to help.

Also these list the 2.5 i and the 3.0 which would be better suited for the OBXT?

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know the weight of the MY05-08 Outback’s 3 engines? The choice of Bilstein kit (2.5i vs 3.0) is all about engine weight I'd think ~ .

1. 2.5i four

2. 2.5turbo four

3. 3.0 six

Cheers, Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Archived