LegacyGT.com

Legacy as reliable as camry, accord?

God I hope so. Otherwise I would have gotten another Jetta and save a bunch of $$$. Well maybe not.......

Bad idea, my cousins boyfriend has a jetta and he melted his water pump's impeller trying to get up my dads driveway over the weekend. btw its a 2000 or 2001. I was being a smart ass and bacikng up the hill in reverse. :lol:

Guest JessterCPA
Lets see. 3 sets of coil packs. 3 MAF sensors. 2 o2 sensors. 3 entire CPU's, rear brake caliper. No, sorry. Never did get a chance to melt the water pump. Maybe if I would have had a few more weeks....

Subaru's run forever. I have had four Subaru's. 1990 Loyale wagon that had 198,000 on it when I sold it. 1996 Outback wagon that had 154,000 on it. and now my wife and I have a 2002 Outback wagon that has 52,000 and a 2005 Legacy GT wagon that has 750 miles on it. The 1990 Loyale and the 1996 Outback I had to replace the clutch, water pump and the timing belt in both but besides that normal maintenance did'nt do much at all to these cars. That's saying alot because I used to race mountain bikes and drove to almost every race. There were times my friends and I would have three bikes and a Rocket Box -gear box- with all our gear on the roof rack and three of us inside and more gear and would drive from Colorado to Vermont or to Califorina for national races and knock on wood never had a car brake down. I had the 1996 Outback stuck up to the axles once in Utah. Went to a race and thought we would go four wheelin and got stuck with all our gear in the car and had to flag two four wheel drive trucks to pull us out since the first truck could'nt pull us out. Anyways very reliable. :lol::lol:

I've never owned a honda or toyota. I had a gf with a toyota once which didn't seem super reliable. I he known people with hinda's who never seemed to have a problem. I've had two subaru's now. They have had slightly more problems than most american vehicles I have owned. Less than the VW I owned, which was a real turkey.

I've never owned a honda or toyota. I had a gf with a toyota once which didn't seem super reliable. I he known people with hinda's who never seemed to have a problem. I've had two subaru's now. They have had slightly more problems than most american vehicles I have owned. Less than the VW I owned, which was a real turkey.

I had a 2000 Celica GT-S, and that car was a pile of crap. I also have an 89 MR2 with 180k miles, and that thing runs like a champ.

hopefully the '05s are reliable. i have an '02 (bought used) and have already been through an O2 sensor (seemed to be a common problem in my MY) and i have a TSB i need to get done on it be4 i loose my eyeballs. these are minor issues compared to alot of people i know who have/had BD's with the blown head gasket issue. so it seems to me that each new design gets a little more reliable. hopefully mine will last as long as my '92 honda did (196k+ and never had one problem or CEL) be4 it was rudely taken away from me!! course ill probably sell it waaaaaay be4 then.

Kenda

God I hope so. Otherwise I would have gotten another Jetta and save a bunch of $$$. Well maybe not.......

Yeah.. The new Jetta GLIs are SWEET looking cars. But, 3 VWs for me, and 2 for the wife, and we've had it.. At least for a while ;-)

I had a 2000 Celica GT-S, and that car was a pile of crap. I also have an 89 MR2 with 180k miles, and that thing runs like a champ.

Why was the Celica such a pile?

I had a 87 FX16 (which had the 1.6 MR2 drivetrain) that was bulletproof. Only problem I ever had was a warped head due to the previous owner not flushing the cooling system enough -- some of the coolant passages were plugged. But other than that 180k miles - even on the original clutch. The gearbox repeatedly withstood my clutchless shifting without a whimper. Was running strong right up to the day my brother wrapped it around a tree (it was his car by then). :(

Why was the Celica such a pile?

The 2zz-ge in the GT-S has some fundemental design issues. My cars engine with 38k miles blew up as I was backing out of my driveway. Toyota replaced it under warranty, and said it was due to poor oil circulation and cooling. This is a design issue that still hasn't been fixed by toyota and affects a lot of people. At 45k miles my 2nd gear syncros went bye bye. They fixed that under warranty, but after that the car never shifted very smooth, and they said it was "normal". At 57k miles my car wouldn't engage the second cam profile anymore (refered to as "lift"). This is due to 2 bolts in the head that keep the rocker shafts on the intake and exhaust from spinning. These get worn out and break over time, and there is no fix for this. If you check the bolts regularly and replace them when you notice wear you're fine. But if they break, you have to pull the whole top end apart which isn't cheap if the car's not under warranty. This is why I'm staying away from the new Elise. I don't want to have to deal with these issues anymore. And I feel bad for those who are unaware of this problem. And of course the gearing of the transmission is horrible. Toyota has 6 gears to play with and they couldn't get it right.

These are the "lift bolts".. the ones on the left are the new ones. See how worn the right ones are.. not good.

http://celicaman.f0e.net/albums/Celica/new_old_liftboltclose.jpg

These are where the lift bolts are located.

http://celicaman.f0e.net/albums/Celica/liftboltsinstalled.sized.jpg

And a side note. I became friends with the service advisor at the dealer since my car was there for a while.. (when my engine blew, they had my car for a month). I spoke to him a few weeks back, and he said the kid who bought my celica came in with a blown motor. D'oh!

Someone mentioned their American car experience being better than their jap car experience. This gets me all started lol. On my stupid ZR2 balzer that I bought in 2k2 and is a 2k model..... Heres my list of problems: Rear wiper is busted and the motor keeps clicking constantly, ball joints are so bad I cant hear the radio, rear suspension is slumping, interior rattles to high hell, sunroof broke - that took nearly a month to have fixed since they had to send the car out, gas cap failure, interior lights malfunctioning, rear glass shocks failing, Ive been through 3 sets of brake pads and 2 sets of rotors - they keep warping, dome light randomly fell out of the headliner, driver side window motor failure... Shall I keep going? This is in 2 years.... None of my jap or german cars had ANY problems like this.. Oh and the kicker is the car has less than 60k miles on it! And no I dont beat the truck - I dont go offroading. I also get about 12mpg even when I drive like a grandma. And the dealer doenst think anything is wrong..... Jap/german cars are the way to go. I will NEVER buy an american car again. Hell my 97 Cobra convertible had less problem than this POS - biggest problem being the AC broke every summer, and at one point the main fan wouldnt turn off even when the car wasnt running.

GM and Ford make for miserable cars period :)

Dont even want to get into the horribleness of my moms old 96 Grand am with 22k miles on it......

:)

Jeff

PS can you tell Im ready to get back into a foreign car?

i drive a 1997 toyota corolla now, 91k and its solid, im expecting 100k more out of it. had a 95 camry before, 108k, 4cyl. that car was like... supernatural. hadnt had an oilchange in like 8k miles, and i shot a 75 dry shot of nitrous into it :lol: . just kept running, until my dad smashed it into a tree :(

time to move on to a legacy :cool:

Archived