Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the kit has both an iPod dock and a 3.5mm male ... I'm pretty sure I tucked the 3.5mm wire under some trim when I installed it. I'll try to remember to check when I drive into work.

-Bob

FYI, my kit does have both an iPod dock connector and a 3.5mm stereo input.

-Bob

• 1 month later...
Do you know someone in the NYC Metro area who can install the Plug in Play Aux-in mod in my 2005 Subaru Legacy. I have the single cd radio. Does this make a difference?

Im thinking if you buy the kit, print the directions and bring it to any stereo shop, they would be able to do it for you.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I purchased Jazzy's ipod pro kit and got it installed the other day. Instructions were pretty clear. I could have used a little more insight on how to route the audio cable out of the 6 disc changer, but I chose to Dremel out a small chunk of the heat sink and it looked pretty clean.

Now for the problem - I'm getting audio successfully (volume levels ARE good by the way, no issues there), but only through FM and AM, not CD. I double checked that I had the ribbon cable installed correctly, and I believe I do. I've attached a picture if that's helpful. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not having any luck getting a hold of Jazzy through email, so I thought I would ask the collective forum brain.

800078590_05WRXInstall.thumb.jpg.9a1566dee3f701c2be8a34b4678a2248.jpg

Hi Beyond,

I just installed my ipod pro kit today. I've got similar issues. I have audio from the kit playing underneath AM and FM radio as well. But I DO have audio working from the silent CD (I don't know if it also plays under other CD's as I don't have any others in the changer). Unlike you I think my audio levels are kind of low. I have to crank up the volume pretty high and have to be careful switching to the radio. I'm thinking of adding an audio booster like the PAC Turbo X. Anyone else using a booster?

Below is a post that Jazzy put up a while ago ('09?) that might solve your issues. I tried the "burn your own silent CD" and still hear audio under AM and FM.

"There are so many things that can go wrong taking apart a radio - it's a small miracle that everyone doesn't run into a problem somewhere. That said - I'm doing my best and most people complete the install without issue. The most common causes of an unresponsive CD player after install are:

1) Ribbon cable is not fully inserted, or inserted backwards. This should be a dead giveaway as soon as you plug the radio harness in - if you don't hear the CD changer start up and count all the CD's - it's not getting power & so there's no connection.

2) If the CD changer does start up and it tries to load a CD, but it doesn't work - 100% of the time so far, it's caused by a long screw being inserted where a short screw was...I believe the 4 on the face of the cd changer (with the control circuit board removed) that can cause this problem for Legacy owners and there is a screw on the side of the impreza radio that can cause a similar issue.

3) If it loads the CD and everything seems fine, but you're not hearing any audio - it could be a bad Silent CD. I had several corrupted CD's go out a few weeks ago unknown to me, but luckily this one is also easy to fix - I wrote a walkthru for creating a new silent CD on this site: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=381

If you can hear the aux-in sound with another music CD playing or with the radio on, then you've definitely got a bad Silent CD."

I believe that when the AM/FM is selected, the audio input from the CD changer is also active. You just never hear the CD because it isn't playing one when AM/FM is selected. Since the AUX-in simply piggybacks onto the CD input to the amplifier, you will hear your AUX device while listening to AM/FM. The CD input to the amplifier isn't muted on AM/FM.

You will also hear your AUX device while playing a CD, again because the AUX-in simply piggybacks onto the same CD input.

Since the CD input to the amplifier is temporarily muted while the unit first reads a disc, it is possible it is not correctly reading the silent CD and is hunting around trying to find a track. While this hunting goes on, the CD (and AUX input) will be muted.

Thanks for your help guys - I'm doing a bit of a forehead slap on this. It does play on FM, AM and CD - I just didn't have a blank CD in! I managed to put a data CD which I had lying around in instead of the correct silent CD. Everything seems to to be working great now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This was working in my car for a long time. Since '06 I believe. Now my CD player has quit on me. The car doesn't recognize there is any CD in there but the blank CD is in slot 2. When I do an "all eject" the radio thinks about it for a while, makes a little noise and stops. The CD does not pop out. When I press eject again it does nothing. I pulled the battery connections to try to reset the radio but it didn't help. It also won't load any new CD's. Its almost like the radio forgets the cd player is attached.

Any suggestions? Do I need to pull the radio out and get the blank CD out manually?

Did the install this weekend. Everything seems to be installed correctly, The 6 discs started shuffling when i put it back together and connected the white CD harness. I can hear a faint audio in/ audio out noise when I connect and disconnect my ipod.

My problem is that I cant get my 6 disc to take a blank CD. It just automatically ejects it when it cant find a track. I cant get any ipod music to play because of it. All other CDs work fine.

Any ideas (sry if this was answered before but i cant sort through the proir 2k posts. I did that once on the BNR turbo thread, lol not again though). Thanks

I gotcha... working on that now. Its been so long since I bought the kit I lost the silent CD and bought some blank ones to use. Ill prolly make a silent CD and test out at lunch. Thanks

EDIT: Got it working. Sounds awesome (no drop in decibals). Easy install

Edited by BagheeraLGT
no luck...

I tried to install mine today with no luck, hoping someone can help (feeling pretty dumb with all the success stories). I have a '06 Outback with single cd. I had everything hooked up and went through the testing before putting it back together. Put the harness back in and put in ACC mode, tried to put a disc in and it wouldn't accept it. The radio was working, when i try to put in a disc it says CD, but won't accept it. Messed around with the wiring strips connecting the CD player to the radio, tried again, no luck. I even went back to the original setup without the mod and same thing. Could i have fried something? Thanks for the help!!