LegacyGT.com

My Legacy Convertible

well...after 6 months of trying to sell my 98 LegacyGT I have decided to do the un-thinkable...do something fun with it!

tonight I will begin the process of taking the seats out and looking for the major wires and possible stress points... (what is this guy talking about is what your thinking).

I plan On cutting the top of my 98 and turning her into a 2 season convertible. I will grind down the rough edges and fiberglass allot to make it look like a "factory option".

After I cut the top I will then build a tasteful (nothing sticking out of the normal (so it looks as stock as possible) roll cage to keep the little beast together. If all goes well I will then do some more body work, Paint her WR Blue and slap a Nice EJ20 or sell it to a lucky driver who wants something a bit more. wish me luck!

If I get the thing up and running, be sure to look for me at the Wicked Big Meet. I will be taking photos to document the entire process.

again.... Wish me luck....

well...after 6 months of trying to sell my 98 LegacyGT I have decided to do the un-thinkable...do something fun with it!

tonight I will begin the process of taking the seats out and looking for the major wires and possible stress points... (what is this guy talking about is what your thinking).

I plan On cutting the top of my 98 and turning her into a 2 season convertible. I will grind down the rough edges and fiberglass allot to make it look like a "factory option".

After I cut the top I will then build a tasteful (nothing sticking out of the normal (so it looks as stock as possible) roll cage to keep the little beast together. If all goes well I will then do some more body work, Paint her WR Blue and slap a Nice EJ20 or sell it to a lucky driver who wants something a bit more. wish me luck!

If I get the thing up and running, be sure to look for me at the Wicked Big Meet. I will be taking photos to document the entire process.

again.... Wish me luck....

Good luck with all that... and definitely don't forget to brace the crap out of the under dash area (which flexes even with a roof on it) and brace your back seat area (say goodbye to your drop-seat functionality). Will be interesting to watch the process. So tell me why again, this car didn't sell?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Sounds like a neat project, just reinforce the hell out of the undercarriage. Porsche Boxters have major flex problems and there not supposto have a roof, just imagine what a car that started out with one would do if it wasn't built with the necessairy precautions.

Good luck with the project, post pics as you go.

05 LGT Wagon STI powered

can't wait to see it. i think.

i knew someone in HS who cut a sunroof out on his volvo.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Just make sure your convertible doesn't end up like these guys':

What a hoot. Laughed through the entire ridiculous episode and I'm still chuckling. Really laughed at "It's on fire now, the car's on fire."

SBT

Awesome idea.

Build the roll cage FIRST, before you cut the roof. If not, you will need some serious equipment to get everything aligned right.

It'll probably be a complete cluster fuk, but what the hell.

Have fun and good luck.

Economically, I think you'd be better off donating it & getting a clapped-out Miata, or even a Mustang.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• 3 weeks later...
Was looking for another thread and found this... Any update?

I had to post this though...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/JoKerNZ/leggy90.jpg

Okay - that's just...something...but I'm not sure what, besides the fact that it used to be a 1st Gen Legacy Sedan

if you couldnt sell the legacy before what makes you think you will be able to sell a chopped up legacy? i think it will be a cool ride but selling is gonna be near impossible. get used to seeing it in your driveway buddy

if you couldnt sell the legacy before what makes you think you will be able to sell a chopped up legacy? i think it will be a cool ride but selling is gonna be near impossible. get used to seeing it in your driveway buddy

I think his point is that he's taking it as a loss and doing something fun with it instead of driving it off a cliff.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

if it comes out kinda cool im sure someone would buy it for a few hundred bucks.

stage 2

i think cars get to a point where you just need to take an angle grinder to them...selling them is just no fun.

my 98 jeep XJ has already been cut a little... once the cancer (rust) spreads to the point of no return.... she will be chopped and caged!!

and i could see this happening to the 95 legacy someday as well... just for the fun of it... if you donate it, chopped or not, you still get the same 500 dollar tax write off.

Archived