LegacyGT.com

My windows froze

after the first night parked in freezing temperatures. Knowing that we will most certainly be seeing many sub-zero (F) nights over the next few months, this does not bode well.

I was afraid the frameless windows would be a problem in our climate but the problem seems to be the window sill seal, not the window surround seal. When I parked the car it was snowing lightly at about 2*C (36*F). Then the temps dropped to -10*C (14*F) overnight. I was able to open the door without too much effort but all four windows are frozen.

A search of this forum came up with a thread from January that suggested using silicone on the seals. That might work on the surround seals but would make a huge mess on the glass. Another suggestion was to pee on the window but on some days in Montreal the pee would probably freeze in mid-flight.

Has anyone come up with a good way to prevent or at least reduce the chance of the window sills freezing?

. Another suggestion was to pee on the window but on some days in Montreal the pee would probably freeze in mid-flight.

Has anyone come up with a good way to prevent or at least reduce the chance of the window sills freezing?

Car starter FTW!!!

I used to live in northern Maine and it would get to -50 F in the wind chill. We would spit and it would freeze before it hit the ground. thats cold.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

My problem is no car starter in a 5 speed (I know it could be done with an overide, but my luck I'dleave her in gear)

FYI - windchill numbers only effect humans - not doors or windows. Common misunderstanding. Fact is if it is 33deg F out and windchill of -30F water will not freeze. Sorry to get off the subject - friendly FYI

I have found my doors freeze in the past, but usually my fault because I washed it the night before...

My problem is no car starter in a 5 speed (I know it could be done with an overide, but my luck I'dleave her in gear)

FYI - windchill numbers only effect humans - not doors or windows. Common misunderstanding. Fact is if it is 33deg F out and windchill of -30F water will not freeze. Sorry to get off the subject - friendly FYI

[hijack]

What if that water is standing still and on metal that is exposed to said wind?[/hijack]

so can those window seals become damaged at the end of winter? is there a way to fix it.. ( im guessing i dont want petroleum jelly on the window:icon_tong)

EDIT: This gets answered and thats my last highjack of the day:P

[hijack]

What if that water is standing still and on metal that is exposed to said wind?[/hijack]

Windchill is basically a result from the wind removing the little bubble of heat our bodies produce. If you wear clothes the problem is effectively minimized to only exposed skin (hands or face usually). It's not physically colder but the windchill trys to help people equate the experience to some number they can understand. Unfortunately most people don't really understand what it means anyway.

I've had my windows freeze before in my previous car here in Rochester, and it doesn't get as cold as some of you are talking about. It's a nuisance but not something I pay much attention to.

Windchill is basically a result from the wind removing the little bubble of heat our bodies produce. If you wear clothes the problem is effectively minimized to only exposed skin (hands or face usually). It's not physically colder but the windchill trys to help people equate the experience to some number they can understand. Unfortunately most people don't really understand what it means anyway.

WTF? thats to technical. cold is cold

After talking to the rest of my family, it seems that the windows on my wife's RAV4 and my son's Civic were also frozen, so it was probably the particular combination of melted snow and dropping temperatures that caused the problem.

In the January thread to which I referred earlier, someone suggested a lubricant sold at BMW dealerships that prevents the windows from sticking to the surround seals.

Knowing the windchill factor can be very handy when it gets really cold and windy. It's intended to help people prepare better before going out into a really cold and windy day. In our town, when the windchill factor is very high, the radio heads will also tell us something like: "Well folks, its really cold and breezy outside today. Factoring in the windchill, it will feel like -50*C and exposed skin will freeze in 20 seconds, so cover up while you wait for the bus this morning."

Isn't there also a "humidex" factor that adjusts warm temperatures relative to high humidity in the summer?

Yup; it takes the humidity into effect, so that 95 degrees at 80% RH in DC feels a lot hotter than 105 dergees at 25% RH in Palm Springs.

the south is brutal for humidity!!!!! i lived in VA for 5 years and i never got used to it. the cold is bad too, its wierd though, it will be -5 F up here and it feels just as cold in the south when its 25 F. the cold Humidity eats right into your bones in the south...

1. hold onto door at base of window

2. hold onto the top edge of the window

3. wiggle:icon_smil

Ah, the wiggle method... Seriously, does that work?

I'll try it next time.

From another source: work an old credit card (this damages the card) between the glass and the sill seal and slide it back and forth to break the ice between the two.

Archived