1. 1. Which Mid and Y-pipe would you purchase

• Midpipe with Donut Flange, Standard Y-Pipe
    • Midpipe with Donut Flange and Resonator, Standard Y-Pipe
    • Midpipe with Flat Flange, Standard Y-Pipe
    • Midpipe with Flat Flange and Resonator, Standard Y-Pipe

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't worry, the single exit will get lots of love since that is what will be going on my Legacy. We will also be developing a cap to cover the other cutout

I wanttttt that so bad. Should be pretty cheap considering its less material :). it is all about the cover.

We will work some good resonators in. As far the single exit we can make it so its set up to accept an wrx/sti style axleback or we can source some mufflers and mate them up.

I think it would be best to make it flange where the stock muffler mounts that way some could use it with already purchased/fabbed axlebacks.

Could you make the midpipes with flat flanges, plus an adaptor piece that would mate up to Cobb and stock downpipes? And if so, would that make things less expensive all around?

Just thinking out loud.

• 2 weeks later...
Could you make the midpipes with flat flanges, plus an adaptor piece that would mate up to Cobb and stock downpipes? And if so, would that make things less expensive all around?

Just thinking out loud.

+1 if you are talking about the single exit exhaust

For some reason I really liked this idea initially but the more I think about it the less I like it.

The Y-pipe on our cars makes us unique in appearance and sound (slightly) from the WRX's, Fozzy's, and STi's of world. There is also a carbon fiber diffuser being made for us and it would look weird with a missing axelback.

So I guess I would like RPA's Mid/Y-pipes in flat black (stealth style). You should also offer a electronic cut out after the Mid :) It would be popular.

here are the thoughts that just keep cycling on me whenever i think CBE...

lgt-specific catbacks for the most part are ridiculous money, imho usually sound half as good as their sti cousins, and really shouldn't yield any flow benefit vs. a good straight through single.

and a cutout would be fun until you get to emissions ;)

i'm not saying there are no good sounding lgts, there are a few on site that i definitely admire -- but again imho, it's a lot tougher to find a great sounding lgt than sti -- and the lgts that sound the best are usually hybrids found by extensive trial and refinement, custom jobs, or the most expensive kits.

my desire for a decent single option is to try to address all of the above issues by emulating what i see as the relative advantage of the sti, at the solitary sacrifice of the empty cutout, which honestly i could give 2 sh.ts about :).

if RPA can produce a good intermediate+y-delete that will mate to any sti axleback for a good price, i think it will open up a whole matrix of possible inexpensive combinations for really good sound, same flow as any A/M dual, and a great alternative for people who are justifiably turned off by the 'high entry fee for little return' stigma our CBEs have earned. couple that with the fact that lgt goodies are being discontinued by the armload, and it's clearly just better to have as many options as possible.

finally, i'm comfortable with my 4-cylinder orientation, so rocking a tasteful single won't seem wrong to me at all :)

^I like the rebuttal :) I guess I could get a a custom carbon fiber diffuser with only one exhaust outlet.

Do you think the flow would be that much better by eliminating the Y-pipe and two mufflers? I guess I can see myself rocking a single Cobb STi Axel Back or Prodrive :)

Archived