LegacyGT.com

Why is it called the "H6" brake upgrade?

I think this conversion first showed up on RS25.com where I guy with an RS just took the larger 11.4" big brakes off of an 3rd generation H6 Legacy (BE & BH) wagon. Then the legacy guy followed soon after realizing that the bolts to the caliper brackets simply lined up with ours. None the less is a great conversion and needed an epic name. Do you propose something better? :lol:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2nd-gen-lgt-brake-upgrades-wrx-front-and-h6-rear-154702.html

lol, how about 3rd gen leggy rear brake upgrade, a bit more wordy, but then if someone is looking at a junkyard for the brackets they will know that any 3rd gen will work, not just H6's

wait, are you saying the 04 WRX caliper won't bolt to the "H6" bracket? I know the pads are different, but that is a matter of buying a new set of pads. My understanding was that the WRX guys use this upgrade commonly, and since my brakes are 04 WRX and the caliper is the same as the 03 WRX it should work with new pads.

All the research and comparisons i have done suggest the 04wrx calipers are a direct bold on to the "H6" brackets and are more suitable since the orientation of the banjo bolt is the same as our stock calipers. Mostly I base this on the fact that WRX guys seem to be doing the swap with just the brackets. again, since my car has 04 WRX not 03 it will require different pads, D770 to be exact, but the calipers are the same.

^^^ a good question for Cameron. PM him.

Sorry, I wouldn't know the answer to that.

All the research and comparisons i have done suggest the 04wrx calipers are a direct bold on to the "H6" brackets and are more suitable since the orientation of the banjo bolt is the same as our stock calipers. Mostly I base this on the fact that WRX guys seem to be doing the swap with just the brackets. again, since my car has 04 WRX not 03 it will require different pads, D770 to be exact, but the calipers are the same.

That would be pretty cool if it works out that way.

the front WRX brakes are the same as the 3rd gen, 293mm, 2 piston calipers. the rear are the smaller 266mm so the 3rd gen rears are an upgrade. the caliper piston sizes are identical, just different castings. the spacing on the bracket looks the same from pictures:

2003 Legacy:

http://partimages.genpt.com/largeimages/942338.jpg

2004 WRX:

http://partimages.genpt.com/largeimages/942118.jpg

1999 LGT:

http://partimages.genpt.com/largeimages/939865.jpg

another upgrade that is a tad pricier is the 4th gen GT turbo 290mm vented rear rotors, but that DOES require the calipers and brackets.

^^^Are you sure the the 4th Gen Legacy brackets even match up with the 2nd Gen spacing on the bolts or even the brake line specs? The whole reason the H6 upgrade is so sweet for us is because the brackets fit out cars "plug and play" so to say. And the brake lines from my BD can just hook right up with no modifications needed. FWIW, after my upgraded brakes for as small as my 2nd Gen BD is (smallest of all the legacy Generations) these brakes are awesome! This is one of the most easiest and cost efficient upgrades yet....the very reason that I went the Subaru AWD route instead of the Audi QUATTRO route. Audi was CRAZY expensive for any upgrades and sort of just boring. :lol:

^^^That looks Like a fit. I hardly see any difference. Are you ready to be a pioneer and just be the first to go for the Legacy 05' GT Turbo brakes?

I think you get dibs to NAME that conversion if you do it and document it here on LGT. I'd say, "Dooooo Eeeeeet!!"

lol, I think it has been done before, and IMO for a street car not worth the extra cost(to me). the calipers are $82 a piece and rotors are $41 vs $22 a piece for brackets AND $37 ea. for rotors. both would require pads. the only advantage is that the rotors are vented.

Archived