LegacyGT.com

Are head gaskets stil an issue?

I was at the Outback forum page and they have several sub-sections dedicated to head gasket failure. Scary. Did Subaru get this worked out conclusively in the current engines, or not exactly? If so, what was the problem and what did they do to correct the problem?

Thanks, Kurt

Totally new 4-cylinder engine design (FB25) since MY 2012/2013; no coolant in contact with the head gaskets.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Thanks. what about the wheel bearing issue I read about?

This has been thoroughly discussed in other threads here and on the Outback forum. Search is your friend.

FWIW, we have had zero wheel bearing "issues" in our 2015 Legacy and 2016 Outback. YMMV.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I was at the Outback forum page and they have several sub-sections dedicated to head gasket failure. Scary. Did Subaru get this worked out conclusively in the current engines, or not exactly? If so, what was the problem and what did they do to correct the problem?

Thanks, Kurt

That is a good question. I have been wondering about this myself as well. I'd be interested to know how people with FB25B engines are doing long term and after high miles in regards to head gaskets.

I know that for the most part, the head gasket ailed Subarus were of the EJ25 engine series, but I am still curious if it's something they were able to completely resolve in the newer/current versions of their much loved boxer engines.

Our first Subaru, a 2000 Forester, suffered from the all too common head gasket failure at 190k. We ended up junking the Forester shortly after fixing the head gaskets after the bottom end spun a bearing 1000 miles later. I attribute this to waiting far too long to get the head gaskets fixed....They probably showed signs of failure at 140k but we continued to run it until we had no other choice but find a new car or fix the head gaskets.

My mothers 2008 Legacy suffered from failed head gaskets at 115k. We got her head gaskets done right away and it's been running great (knock on wood) for the last 10k miles and I hope this should take her Legacy to 200k and beyond. Besides for oil changes, brakes and tires this was literally the first maintenance that was required on her Legacy.

We have a bunch of "Suby" friends and family, who all have had Subarus from the late 90's to early/mid 2000's.....all who have ended up doing head gaskets at some point between 100 - 200k. For the most part, nobody I know has been extremely upset with the reliability of their Suby, because in most cases besides for routine maintenance, their Subarus have required nothing else from them otherwise.

... I am still curious if it's something they were able to completely resolve in the newer/current versions of their much loved boxer engines.

In the FB-series engines (FB20, FB25), there are NO coolant passages in the head-to-block interface. No coolant = no leaks.

spacer.png

Thanks guys. I had done a search and came up with a lot of posts regarding the wheel bearing issue, but no definitive (that I read anyway) statements of "from X year or model they fixed/changed the bearing design or supplier, so no more issues" sort of thing.

hope you are right with "no coolant passage - no head gasket problem". My 09 Leggy went for head gaskets at 160k km (100k miles) not loosing a drop of coolant. Changed timing belt at that time. Both sides were slowly dripping oil to the outside. Mostly highway car, lightly driven, mostly if not all the time warmed up from cold for about a minute. Not burning any oil.

I had a 2003 Impreza 2.5RS that needed head gaskets at 53K miles .

HOLY CRAP EARLY FAILURE MAN!

hope you are right with "no coolant passage - no head gasket problem". My 09 Leggy went for head gaskets at 160k km (100k miles) not loosing a drop of coolant. Changed timing belt at that time. Both sides were slowly dripping oil to the outside. Mostly highway car, lightly driven, mostly if not all the time warmed up from cold for about a minute. Not burning any oil.

After doing a bit of additional research, it looks like they are right. No coolant passes through at the head/block mating location. There are separate external passages designed for the flow of coolant from the block to the head.

My mothers 2008 Legacy needed head gaskets done at 115k due to leaking oil as well, so feel your pain there.

Archived