LegacyGT.com

Larger tire size on stock 06 XT

probably 205/75/15? - they were the stock tire size on older tacomas and rangers. I have a set of snow tires for the minivan and theyre slightly taller (.5" I think) thank the stock 225/55/17. I dont know if you have enough clearance when you turn the wheels lock to lock for the 235.

Also in the spirit of not adding more threads, I am having an issue with fuel consumption right now (14mpg combined). I have a misfire under heavy load, which I have been told it might be a valve issue or a crankshaft. Haven't been able to compression or leak down yet.

No CEL's have come up. It did have the CEL and cruise control light flashing a couple times but when I checked it was the generic MAF/O2 sensor codes. I swapped the MAF and it fixed it and then the second time it went away on it's own but I swapped out the O2 as well anyways to try and cure the problem.

When I did replace the O2 the misfire seemed to lessen a little bit but didn't completely go away. There are no boost/vac leaks, still making 12psi at full boost and vac is about 19 at idle. I haven't checked ohms on my injectors but I did listen to them with a screwdriver and they all seem to be firing fine. I haven't pulled them so they could be dirty I have no idea though.

There is a little bit of a weird idle though where it kind of fluctuates/flutters a little bit. It's not super noticeable, you kind of have to really watch and listen to see it. I have replaced my plugs within the last 6k miles so those are good too.

I did recently get a generic misfire in cylinder 3 code but this is the first it's ever done that. Otherwise nothing shows up. I've taken it to a Subaru dealer and they said as far as electrical and all the sensors nothing is wrong.

Does anyone have any insight as to where I should go from here or what my problem might be?

if a misfire is detected in a given cylinder, then you should follow the 'usual' troubleshooting steps:

swap coil and see if misfire follows

if not then

swap spark plugs and see if misfire follows

if not then

swap injector and see if misfire follows

if not then

do compression test/leakdown

and also

check valve clearance (you may have a tight valve--and the more you wait, the more the valve may get damaged--burned)

probably 205/75/15? - they were the stock tire size on older tacomas and rangers. I have a set of snow tires for the minivan and theyre slightly taller (.5" I think) thank the stock 225/55/17. I dont know if you have enough clearance when you turn the wheels lock to lock for the 235.

What about 225/60/17?

full boost should be 14+psi FYI... if your gauge is somewhat calibrated, you should still be hitting that amount. Check for intermittent boost leak. I had something similar in the past - intermittent hesitation and CEL that would flicker on and off (no memorized codes either) and boost would be around 11-12psi (as 14ish usually). Turned out my TB coupler was not sitting properly on my IPR TMIC - readjusting the coupler fixed it.

I believe 15" Method Race Wheels will fit over the OB brakes. Otherwise you'll have to stick with 16" or larger wheels.

I have LGT front brakes so I can't go smaller than 17".

If I have a chance I'm going to try some 215 65 17 tires I have left over from my wife's old 14 FXT. They are about an inch and a quarter taller so IDK if they will fit without a lift.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I haven't tried to mount them up yet. I want to say they are 1" taller dia than stock. Tires are paid for and just waiting for me to put the lift in and come get them installed. May just put them on 1st to see. But wife wants the lift too. ;) I honestly don't think the lift will create much space in the areas I forsee issues (front fender, mostly). But hopefully it's just liner contact.

• 1 year later...

Archived