LegacyGT.com

airbag deployed, car doesn't start

So, my 2005 Legacy was hit by a guardrail last night. The driverside airbag deployed and my front end suffered some damage. It was at night so I really couldn't assess the damage that well and I was more worried about my family in the car. When I tried to move it out of the road, it would not start. Does anybody know if a deployed airbag keeps the car from starting? I have heard this is true for some vehicles, but haven't found any posts about a legacy not starting. Just wondering if it's the airbag or if my poor Legacy suffered some other type of damage that I'm not aware of. I'm trying to prepare myself for bad news before it's taken to a body shop.

Thanks!!!

-Cam

Glad everyone is OK.

I do not believe that the airbag deployment would prevent the car from starting or driving.

That's pretty much what I was afraid of. Just hoping that it was something small and fixable. Everyone was fine.....thank you :) Just a little airbag black eye.

So, my 2005 Legacy was hit by a guardrail last night. The driverside airbag deployed and my front end suffered some damage. It was at night so I really couldn't assess the damage that well and I was more worried about my family in the car. When I tried to move it out of the road, it would not start. Does anybody know if a deployed airbag keeps the car from starting? I have heard this is true for some vehicles, but haven't found any posts about a legacy not starting. Just wondering if it's the airbag or if my poor Legacy suffered some other type of damage that I'm not aware of. I'm trying to prepare myself for bad news before it's taken to a body shop.

Thanks!!!

-Cam

your legacy hit a guardrail with the family inside?

what were you doing to pull that off?

its july so ice on the road wont work.

Does it turn over or is it completely dead? Possible battery issue? Just grasping at straws without being able to look at it..

It didn't do anything. I didn't pop the hood or anything just b/c we were all a little shaken up, but I have heard of batteries exploding on some collisions. I tried calling the tow company today and they acted like I was crazy for wanting to go look at my car on a Sunday. I have to wait until tomorrow, but hopefully I will have some more info. Thanks for the help!!!

your legacy hit a guardrail with the family inside?

what were you doing to pull that off?

its july so ice on the road wont work.

I'm on the east coast and we had severe thunderstorms/tornados. The road was flooded and we hydroplaned. Thanks for your concern.

I'm on the east coast and we had severe thunderstorms/tornados. The road was flooded and we hydroplaned. Thanks for your concern.

it happens, good to see evyerone was safe.

but i don't have any answers as to why the car isn't starting :confused:

A lot of cars have a fuel cut after accidents of a certain magnitude to prevent fires. Don't know if the legacy has one.

I've yet to see any inertia/fuel cutoff switches in any of the impreza/legacy diagrams.

could be possible engine damage. car should still start even without any coolant... I drove a WRX into a jetta once and something impacted the timing cover just enough to hit a cam gear. totalled. of course it could also be something electrical. tough to tell without pictures

Richard B., did you read, the guardrail hit him :)

All, he noted that it does nothing, doesn't even turn over, that can rule out the fuel interia switch. Probably a battery cable knocked off or something.

Glad to hear everyone is okay!

I was told by the salesmen that the impact sensors that set off the air bags where connected with an inertia sensor which cut off fuel and power to the engine to prevent a fire after an impact, but that could have been him BSing me

Richard B., did you read, the guardrail hit him :)

yeah. i guess the spoon really does bend.

to the op...i assumed everyone was ok as you didnt state otherwise and the car wasnt totaled etc...

i agree with another poster...check battery cable.

Archived