LegacyGT.com

Personal Record for MPG in an LGT.

For the past few weeks I've been commutting back and forth from Fresno to Sacramento, which is about 180 miles one way. I figured this would be a best time to test the MPG in my LGT.

Before I left I made sure to lighten my load by clearing out the trunk and back seat from all baby gear (strollers, child seats, etc..). Then wax the car for better air stream, topped off the oil, and checked all tires for proper air pressure. Once on the road all windows were closed and the A/C was set to 78 degrees, since it was 90 degrees outside, I didn't want to sweat in my business suit.

LGT stats - Stage 1 with H Tech springs.

First test: Drove 381 miles (up and back) on a single tank of gas and average a total of 28.5 MPG. About 20 miles of it were intercity driving.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8db32b3127ccec44ea6f4814f00000016100AZtHDZo1bt2IPbz4S

Second test: Driving back from Sac., mostly all highway and less than 5 miles of intercity driving. Average 30.3 MPG, and average around 75 mph.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8db10b3127ccec46a935fe02100000026100AZtHDZo1bt2IPbz4S

:D

Hint: Pace behind a large SUV to help with the aero dynamics.;)

My wife's balls are delicious.

I really am amazed at the gas mileage that the Legacy GT can get. My wife got 31.7 on highway driving from VA to NJ and I consistently get 26-27 mpg commuting to work. I use the "I" mode in town and always calculate the mileage myself during fill-ups. I still like to rev it up now and then and "exercise" her.

Its good to see someone else is getting those numbers as well.

I tend to net best MPG under these conditions:

S - city/town driving

S# - highway onramp acceleration

S - highway driving <60mph (traffic :mad: )

I - highway driving >60mph

Best was ~31mpg for 70 miles, S mode, all rural routes 45mph.

Average is 27-28mpg since I do almost all highway driving.

who gives a ? get a fit...

Funny you should say that... At this point, my commuter is a hyundai accent. 32+ mpg on 87 where the LGT averages 24/25 on 93. In the short term it's "pocket change" but the extra $40+/mo adds up over time. Hell, I still opted to take the LGT on my trip when the hyundai would have been acceptable.. Gotta pay to play, I can accept that. But life isn't getting any cheaper with the cost of gas raising the cost of everything else (especially with no significant raises on the horizon and jobs slowing down)... Better to save where you can, and if that's by using a paid off korean econo-box, so be it.

Interesting that the "I" mode gets about the same MPG as the non "I" mode LGTs.

considering it's constant cruise how could it be better?

BUT when constant i can click the knob around and the needle moves a bit.

reality though...18.6 according to the car pc. thats hgwy cruising and stop light romping and highway pulls. f__k mileage.

steady cruise my gf got 26.1 and started out at 13mpg. that's at 80mph

if i wanted 30+ i woulda kept my protege 5. at 80 got 30+. thats including city.

I never believe the computer :( I did a long highway trip last summer, about 800 km each way....did all the driving at night, so no traffic to deal with....almost all the way on "Cruise control" at 110-130 kph..... 31 MPG...Imperial gallons...calculated!!

I 'think' I mode works ok for lazy in town driving or stop and go. If you are in a busy fast passed traffic I'm beginning to think S mode works a tad better. My only guess is, obviously I mode gimps the throttle.... so if you have to move on the quick due to busy traffic you tend to floor it more hoping it will respond. That behavior defeats the purpose of being in I mode to begin with if you are constantly flooring it to get power out of it, where in S mode a quick tap would have gotten you up to speed and then settled.

I'm learning to leave it in I mode and use the S# on my wheel at intersections/traffic areas I know are more 'cut-throat' and then tapping it again puts me right back into I mode.

3 tanks so far have been 27mpg with about 30% laid back city, 10% having fun, 60% 65-75mph rural Cruise Control.

My only guess is, obviously I mode gimps the throttle.... so if you have to move on the quick due to busy traffic you tend to floor it more hoping it will respond. That behavior defeats the purpose of being in I mode to begin with if you are constantly flooring it to get power out of it, where in S mode a quick tap would have gotten you up to speed and then settled.

Exactly. :)

I'm less hard on the throttle when in S mode.

I've put 11K miles on the car since January and am still perfecting my SI-Drive use, but I think I've got it down pretty good now.

Good point. My commute is exactly 8 miles round trip to school every day, and it's all in town/city. Not lights every where, but 30/35 mph limit and some traffic. I'll experiment in both S and I when school starts this fall.

I got 30.1 mpg, consistently, driving all highway at about 75mph from Denver to Pittsburgh (1500 miles each way), according to the carputer. When caculated manually, it was actually about 29 mpg. FWIW, I had about 300lbs extra weight in the car.. Skis & equip., luggage, large framed picture, personal elecronics, yada yada..

During my daily driving (2-lane, rural w/ lots of rolling hills) I get about 21 mpg, but calculated manually it's 20 mpg. I normally baby the car too (stock clutch 'seems' pretty strong @ 71k miles), but it's hard to not drive fast on my roads.. I keep the car as light weigh as possible for DD (ie no extra gear)..

im only getting like 24 on mine driving highway from CT to RI or RI to CT.... Guess I gotta go stage I & then stage II soon and get all that crap out of my trunk...

I recently did a 1200mi round-trip with 4 adults and a toddler, plus almost a full trunk and got 25mpg using "economy" map with the AP. Speeds varied from 70-90mph throughout most of the trip.

I made the same trip prior year, with only 2 adults and less cargo, but drove at higher avg. speed, result was 23mpg.

All results were hand calculated, not the trip computer.

Ugh, I must be doing something wrong. Rural driving averaging about 20mpg. The car seems to get the same gas millage no matter how I drive it. So I prefer to drive it the way I want and suck up the cost of gas. Although, I do have to be a bit honest I have been contemplating a sale of her too.

Take care,

Raini

My best reading on the car computer was 34. I had just filled up and was driving home on a 2 lane highway for about 20 miles. I was going 60 with the windows up and the a/c off. Plus it was level or slightly downhill the whole way. On longer trips, the car computer will read 31 mpg on level highways and 29 when going through the mountains of Maryland and West Virginia. When I calculated the real mpg, I find the car coumputer is off by 1 to 1.5 mpg. I have the non-limited 05 manual. These reading are from when it was stock.

Archived