LegacyGT.com

Q's About 5MT and Diff Fluid Change

Metal2You

Okay, I've read a few threads on this and I've decided to go with either the Redline fluids (75W90NS and 75W90) or the Specialty Formulations fluids (MTL-R and HDS-5). My question is whether the SF MTL-R fluid will speed up the action of the synchros the way the 75W90NS claims to?

Plus, what tools will I need to replace the transmission and differential fluids? I think the tranny needs a T70 bit, what about the diff? Are any other tools necessary or helpful?

Thanks!

I ended up using the 75W90NS for the tranny and rear diff fluid change I had a shop do it.

You will need a pump of some sort to pump the fluid back into your rear diff as far as tools go. From what I could see. Also, its easier to get to the transmission refill if you take off the top mount.

iirc, on my buddy's 02wrx and the 04sti diff we just used a 1/2in drive 3" extension to unscrew the diff because it was a square drive, not a normal kind of bolt. so if you look under and see something square, "don't think o poop what am I gonna do now" cuz now you know

the rear diff i think most people just use a 1/2 drive w/o a socket, that should fit perfect. someone els ewil have to take on the technical question of the fluids

So the plug has a recessed square head, not a head sticking outward the way a normal nut/bolt would be?

Correct.

I think that was the best $34 dollars I ever spent was not getting my hands dirty in that process.

Yeah, I'm starting to think I might be better off having this done for me instead of spending the money on a T70 bit and a fluid pump for a process that only needs to be done every 2-3 years.

I ended up using the 75W90NS for the tranny and rear diff fluid change I had a shop do it.

You will need a pump of some sort to pump the fluid back into your rear diff as far as tools go. From what I could see. Also, its easier to get to the transmission refill if you take off the top mount.

no need to pull the tmic. just run a hose down the dipstick tube. I'd also toss a towel over the DP cat. if you spill diff oil on the DP, you'll never get the awful stink out of the car...... trust me on this one.... it didn't go away till I swapped the DP

The front diff/MT looks easier then changing the oil.

1) Pull plug, let oil drain out.

2) Replace plug.

3) Fill through dipstick. (or drop hose down, then fill through hose)

Is there more to it than that?

The Rear diff doesn't look so fun. Do you really need a pump to do the rear diff? Is there enough clearance to pour through funnel or use a long tube?

If it's that easy I may just do annually (~15K) instead of every 30K.

Metal2You - I don't think you need the T70, looks like that's only for automatic models.

I don't think you need the T70, looks like that's only for automatic models.

That would be nice -- make the DIY a little more affordable.

I've found a few affordable siphon pumps online, so I imagine I could get one at the local Autozone or PepBoys or what have you.

Thanks for the heads-up with the DP, bugblatterbeast.

The front diff/MT looks easier then changing the oil.

1) Pull plug, let oil drain out.

2) Replace plug.

3) Fill through dipstick. (or drop hose down, then fill through hose)

Is there more to it than that?

The Rear diff doesn't look so fun. Do you really need a pump to do the rear diff? Is there enough clearance to pour through funnel or use a long tube?

If it's that easy I may just do annually (~15K) instead of every 30K.

Metal2You - I don't think you need the T70, looks like that's only for automatic models.

The MTs use a T70. You can get a full set that includes the T70 from NorthernTools for ~$35.... or the snap-on one for ~$100 cnd (sigh)

If you are super fussy like I am, you can jack the front of the car, then the rear with the plug out. You get a bunch more fluid out that way.

• 6 months later...

Nope....

1.) You'll need just under 1 gallon of transmission gear oil. I used Specialty Formulations in mine.

2.) You'll need 1 qt. of rear differential oil. Again, I used Specialty Formulations in mine.

3.) You'll need about 3 feet of clear tygon tubing

4.) You'll need a 1/2" drive ratchet and extension

5.) You'll need a T70 Torx socket.

6.) Some silicone sealant (oil resistant type)

For the front Diff and Tranny

Pull the T70 and drain the tranny and front diff.

Clean the plug and re-install. You might want to put a LIGHT coat of silicone on the theads....

Fill the tranny back up by slipping the hose down the fill tube and onto the spout of the gear oil container.

Turn the bottle upside down and squeeze. ;)

Check the level occasionally so you don't overfill.

Rear Differential

For the rear, there are two plugs... one to drain and one to fill.

Remove both plugs... the top first... then the bottom. When you pull the bottom plug, Oil WILL come gushing out... so have a catch pan ready.

Once the oil has drained out... LIGHTLY coat the threads of the plug with silicone and re-install.

Again, slip one end of the hose into the rear diff housing through the top hole and the other end on the bottle.

Turn the bottle upside down and squeeze.

When oil starts to run out of the top hole, the rear diff is full.

Coat the top plug threads and re-install.....

Tada! You're done! ;)

I think there was a seller on ebay selling the t70 torx bit for $25 if you want to save a little dough,.. I bought the Northern tool set even though Ill only use the t70,..Maybe you have a local Subie club that will let you borrow it for a day or do a fluid change day with some members,..

You dont have to take the intercooler off,..you can take the plastic cover and downpipe heatshield to make it easier to see the refill/dipstick. I used a long hose and funnel to get the fluids in, and a pump for the rear,..

I think there was a seller on ebay selling the t70 torx bit for $25 if you want to save a little dough,.. I bought the Northern tool set even though Ill only use the t70,..Maybe you have a local Subie club that will let you borrow it for a day or do a fluid change day with some members,..

I just bought one off of Ebay for $14 shipped. It's a Lisle brand-the Mac or Snap-On ones are like $30-35.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys...I've seen some stuff abotu a washer....

What kind of washer do I need?

Front and Rear Diff need new washers?

Part number?

Need to by from local subaru dealer?

Thanks....everything else looks good......

think I'm going to save 300 and do this myself....

Archived