LegacyGT.com

Differentiate between failing wheel bearing or CV axle?

I've been suspecting that either a wheel bearing or a CV has been wearing out, however I haven't been able to pinpoint which side of the car until recently. I noticed the other day that if I transfer the weight to the passenger side through a quick corner, I get a clunk associated with the axle speed. I'm leaning towards just replacing the CV, however I'd hate to go through all of the work to realize I need to do it again to replace the bearing. That said, I'm trying to avoid fixing things that aren't broken, and I would suspect that I'd be getting a squeal or whine of some sort if it was the wheel bearing as opposed to a clunk. I also get a loud clunk every time I go over an uneven surface, and I have been noticing an increase in drivetrain backlash.

Do you think I'm on the right track? Is the wheel bearing really a "do it while you're in there" sort of thing? Is there any way to verify whether the PO has already replaced the wheel bearing without tearing everything apart? Thanks guys!

Grab the axle right on the main shaft of it, and see if there is any play... check it vs. the others

For wheel bearings, also just raise the wheel and try to move it (do it several times, once with your hands at the top/bottom, left/right, and in/out).

If a CV boot is ripped open, especially if you have grease splatter, it is certainly suspect.

How are you determining it is at axle speed?

You're describing a sway bar end link or bushing noise with clunking on eneven surfaces.

Because the noise is a consistent clunk that varies in volume and pitch based upon the car's speed. I may have an endlink going, so that may be an unrelated issue.

I'm ordering the axle seal, when it comes in I'll be swapping out my CV, regreasing the suspension, and checking on my endlinks.

Not to throw another thought into the mix but here goes.

My 5 month old ball joint went bad... I replaced the Perrin end links with Moogs and the noise was still there.

These cars are know for bad end links.

Before you order part's check out the ball joint for play.

Oh how is tire wear ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived