LegacyGT.com

Recommended summer tires for 06 GT?

optyks

I have $500-600 dollars to get the best tires I can for the upcoming (or still somewhat lingering?) summer months.

What would you guys recommend?

Running my stock 06 LGT Aluminum 5 spoke rims (215/45/R17). I'm looking for (in order of preference):

1. Longevity. I would like these tires to last a good couple seasons with about 50/50 highway/city use. I'm not super hard on tires, but do drive spiritedly.

2. Grip. As the main contact between the car and the road, tires are the most important means of safety and keeping the car under control.

3. Speed rating. I would like tires that can handle up to about 150+ safely. Blowouts are bad, mmkay?

4. Wet traction. There isn't a ton of rain out here, but when there is, it just sits on top of the road, is oily, etc. I have my fair share of hydroplaning, but again, safety is good.

What are you guys running/recommending? Thanks!

• I Donated

I only ran my Hankook Ventus V12 Evos for a few weeks before switching to winter wheels, so I didn't get a full impression of what they were like. However, I liked what I did get to feel, and everything I've read about them has been positive. The one negative review came from a tire guy who said they went out of round on his Audi.

They are cheap, too -- I got Mr. Tire to knock down the price to $121ish per tire. Only thing I don't know about is longevity, but they have a higher treadwear rating than a lot of other summer tires (not that that means too much).

I love "to last a good couple seasons". Summer tires last from sub 10K to 20-30K.

How many miles do you drive?

You can try 215/45R17 and 225/45R17.

I have V12 and like them. It will be last summer for them. I think they will be done by roughly 25K miles in my case.

Krzys

Well, when I say good longevity, i'm coming from Sumitomo tires that I ran for probably 10-15k before they died. that was about 80/20 highway/city though...

I'll take a look towards those hankooks. I have some IceBears on my car now and really like what they offer. (Although it does take a little fun out of it when I can't slide around in snow when I want to, haha)

they cost a bit more, but come with a 300 treadwear rating, I have to say, Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the most fantastic tires ever. This is the first set of tires that I put onto the LGT (only had the car for a year). On my mazda I would move my rear tires to the front, and put new tires on the rear every 5K miles, then 5K miles later, a whole new set. I had BGF's, Kuhmo's, and a bunch others, the rain traction of the PSS's is amazing, they are super quiet, amazingly comfortable, and the grip is absolutely amazing, they cover up all the shortcomings of the suspension on my LGT. Save your money, buy the PSS's, and you will think about getting the Michelin man tatooed on your neck.

i had some god yokohama's on mine last summer. they were very sticky yet rode smoothly.

replaced them with continentals. their sidewalls make the right pretty crashy until the tires are warm

Which Contis are you talking about? And can you explain what you mean by "...make the right pretty crashy... "?

Archived