LegacyGT.com

5MT 05 Legacy GT Wagon Trans needed

GTWagondad

All,

I made the mistake of going through a local Subaru dealer for a Cat, and promised not to do the same thing again.

Now, at 88k, my clutch/pressure plate/tranny is going. My wife drives the car primarily, and its bone stock.

Is there a better, cheaper, and stronger alternative to Subaru's OEM tranny that you all recommend, without making the car significantly more difficult to drive/shift? My wife teaches ballet, so she's not a wimp with shifting, but I don't need a difficult track day set-up, just one with greater durability. Hoping its the last clutch I have to buy.

Getting a quote of $1,800 from the local dealer(s).

Thanks,

Aaron

• Moderators

If the car is stock, just put in a 2007-2009 LGT clutch setup with a single mass flywheel: http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-legacy-gt-o-e-m-clutch-kit-s.html

The clutch kit w/ flywheel and TSK3 kit (to prevent any snout damage in the future) is listed there at $665. Grab 5qts of "Extra S" transmission fluid (http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-75w90-extra-s-gear-and-transmission-quart-bottle.html) while you're there ($50). A local speedshop should be able to do the install for $500-700, so you're looking at around $1200-1500 for the whole shebang.

Depending on where you are in connecticut, I'm sure folks here can recommend a shop.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
You have a dualmass flywheel (DMFW) now (05/06 came with those). Most folks say you cannot resurface a dualmass. That said, if you choose reuse the DMFW make sure you get a clutch kit for an 05/06 instead of an 07-09. They are different.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Where in CT do you live ? I havea buddy in Windsor Locks that can rebuild the tranny if it needs. He works for the Machine Shop I use in Somersville.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Went through The Shop in Norwalk, CT with Jimmy Kakaletris. I've heard good things on the forums here about him, and am looking forward to getting my Subie back this afternoon- thanks again for the advice!

You have a dualmass flywheel (DMFW) now (05/06 came with those). Most folks say you cannot resurface a dualmass. That said, if you choose reuse the DMFW make sure you get a clutch kit for an 05/06 instead of an 07-09. They are different.

Only a fool reuses / resurfaces a dual mass flywheel - the springs will break soon if not already. They are $250 new from Subaru if you MUST get it.

Archived