LegacyGT.com

Will 05-07 STI Steering wheel and airbag work in Legacy GT/Outback XT

Scooby2.5

I have been considering selling my MOMO wheel out of my Outback XT and installing an 05-07 STI steering wheel and airbag.

They look to be the same exact shape, I know the seat airbags work as I did an 05-07 seat swap.

I was thinking maybe to swap the steering wheel, and use my airbag & cover and then just moving the STI logo over to to my wheel.

Im not sure if the Airbag cover comes off the airbag or if I can just swap the center logo onto my airbag and cover or not.

Anyway if anyone has messed with this kind of thing let me know.

I know the dangers of airbags so trust me I will not be removing the cover if its not meant to come off.

Don't need an airbag blowing off in my face :)

So I guess the questions are:

1. Will the STI steering wheel airbag work in the 05 Legacy GT/Outback XT?

2. Can the center STI or Subaru Emblems be removed from the airbag cover?

3. Can the whole cover be removed off the air bag?

I have been considering selling my MOMO wheel out of my Outback XT and installing an 05-07 STI steering wheel and airbag.

They look to be the same exact shape, I know the seat airbags work as I did an 05-07 seat swap.

I was thinking maybe to swap the steering wheel, and use my airbag & cover and then just moving the STI logo over to to my wheel.

Im not sure if the Airbag cover comes off the airbag or if I can just swap the center logo onto my airbag and cover or not.

Anyway if anyone has messed with this kind of thing let me know.

I know the dangers of airbags so trust me I will not be removing the cover if its not meant to come off.

Don't need an airbag blowing off in my face :)

So I guess the questions are:

1. Will the STI steering wheel airbag work in the 05 Legacy GT/Outback XT?

2. Can the center STI or Subaru Emblems be removed from the airbag cover?

3. Can the whole cover be removed off the air bag?

Well seems from my links above that 2 and 3 have been answered.

The emblem has tabs that fold over in the plastic and its very hard to remove.

I could cut it out but I realized the STI emblem is round and the Subaru emblem in our wheel is more oval.

JPM Coach works says its hard and dangerous to remove the cover off the airbag so I guess Ill get a wheel and airbag off of an 05-06 and try the airbag.

I know the seats worked without any problems so chances are the steering wheel one would be plug and play as well.

May have to give this a go......

I thought somebody had done it here quite some years ago? I don't remember it being plug and play though, but I could be wrong. I think I remember someone talking about "stage 2 airbag" and "stage 1 airbag" or something. Maybe those will give you a few keywords to search for. :dunno:

Me too Droc with the exception I am wanting just the 05-07 emblem. I think I have decided to just refinish my stock wheel. I actually have a spare I just purchased from another guy but its in about the same shape as mine.

Im going to attempt to refinish it or maybe just having JPM Coachworks or someone just put new leather on it.

Our wheel is discontinued from Subaru. I checked everywhere trying to find a new one with no luck.

The 05 WRX wheel is pretty much the same as ours but it doesn't have the MOMO logo I don't think.

One company told me our wheel was a poor design because of the seam they made down the middle of the wheel. Its very difficult to get the leather poked in around the foam in the seam areas.

Anyway Ill update what I find out or try.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not done it personally, but I have seen swapped wheels and airbags in other Subarus from different model years, so I do not see why your Outback would be different. As long as the airbag connections are the same then you should be able to swap without issue.

Good luck and keep us updated.

It has to do with dual stage airbags or not and the sensor for how far the seat is away from the steering wheel.

LGT's were typically a step ahead of the WRX and STI models so the STI airbag may or may not be dual stage and have input feeding it for the closeness of the seat.

I have decided against doing the mod for this reason.

• 3 months later...

Looks like it will work.....

new DAMD wheel

IMG_3317.JPG

IMG_3319.JPG

Yep the sti air bag is a direct replacement. However, you need to find one that is a dual stage airbag, which wasn't produced til late in the '05 sti. MY.

Big thanks to Chamleon for helping me with that knowledge.

• 3 months later...

Archived