LegacyGT.com

Bilsteins/springs

Vetteman

Apologies in advance if this has been answered before. Did a lot of searching but could not find the exact answer.

It's time to replace the struts, on the 2005 LGT Wagon, which IMO has always been a bit bouncy from new. I'm thinking of Bilstein HD's. I know I need new front top hats, but what I want to know is what front springs are there that would maintain the stock ride height? We have too much snow on the roads here in winter to have reduced ground clearance.

I want to end up with something that is better tied down than stock, but not harsh. Use could best be described as fast road, lots of nice back roads to enjoy nearby.

Thanks.....

• 2 weeks later...
^if you changed your springs to stock spec B springs, it would ride better

2 questions.

1. Will the stock Spec B springs work with the JDM top hats?

2. Being a wagon, will it set level with Speb B springs.?

1. yes.

2. you will need to research this, but the rear spring for the spec.b and GT are the same. so if you use rear GT wagon springs, it should, in theory sit level. So Spec B front springs, and rear GT wagon springs. it will be stock ride height, not lowered like the pinks you have now.

1. yes.

2. you will need to research this, but the rear spring for the spec.b and GT are the same. so if you use rear GT wagon springs, it should, in theory sit level. So Spec B front springs, and rear GT wagon springs. it will be stock ride height, not lowered like the pinks you have now.

Thanks.

I plan on having a mechanic install my struts. I would need to get a set of front struts and mod them myself. But ordering new seems like a waste just to cut them up. and tracking down some used fronts hasn't proven successful.

I also am not very interested in having to tune my struts until they are "matched" but really want the stock ride height with added firmness.

I appreciate the support as always!

I plan on having a mechanic install my struts. I would need to get a set of front struts and mod them myself. But ordering new seems like a waste just to cut them up. and tracking down some used fronts hasn't proven successful.

I also am not very interested in having to tune my struts until they are "matched" but really want the stock ride height with added firmness.

I appreciate the support as always!

I found my used stock front shocks on ebay. I paid less than $100 shipped for both fronts. They were a click away and cheaper than most ppl were asking for their used shocks.

I found my used stock front shocks on ebay. I paid less than $100 shipped for both fronts. They were a click away and cheaper than most ppl were asking for their used shocks.

That is an avenue I haven't explored, thanks for the tip. Adding ebay to my watch list for used front struts.

That is an avenue I haven't explored, thanks for the tip. Adding ebay to my watch list for used front struts.

Struts are a tough gamble used... id stay away from them unless they are "like new".

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

• 2 weeks later...
the fact that they are used does not matter if he going to cut them open to put new Koni inserts in them.

Unless they are bent/damaged. I think I will go the Koni route per your advice, but will cut/mod my own struts as I know they have never been damaged in any way.

• 3 weeks later...

So I haven't been able to track down any reasonable used front struts to do the insert swap myself. From what everyone has said the Konis are the way to go with stock springs, as I want similar ride height but improved handling.

Are the Konis still worth it if I were to buy new kyb fronts to hack up?

Also have recieved mix info regarding the wear on my current springs. @ 150K they must be exceeded their cycle life right? Especially up here in Maine. Meaning I'll need KYb fronts, konis, and new stock springs. Sounds like I could afford coilovers for all that.

As always, much appreciated.

you can get any used front shock from a 05-09 legacy GT or 2.5i I find i hard to believe that you can find a set of used front shocks to hack up. I may have a source for you, but i can't post it publicly. PM me if you want it.

Springs dont really have a life cycle per se. If they are sagging, then they will need to be replaced, but if not, dont worry about it.

unless you spend $1800+, coilovers are not worth it IMO, because most of the stuff that sells for less is absolute crap and the actual shock quality will be worse than Konis.

Archived