LegacyGT.com

The Wonderful World of Head Gasket Leaks

Hey everyone,

New here and wanted to get some solid advice, hopefully I didn't miss an entire forum dedicated to this subject! It looks like I'm heading for a head gasket replacement very soon, my 08 Legacy 2.5i has a slow leak an inch from the oil filter gasket, around the oil return opening in the head. Still have to clean it up a couple times to make sure its not the oil filter that's actually leaking and not the gasket. I've been seeing a lot of debate on reliability of head gaskets, Six Star head gaskets seem to be a favorite, I've read to stay away from the standard Subaru head gasket for obvious reasons, and then Ishino Stones comes up a lot as well.

From experience what has worked well for you and which brand would you recommend?

Sub'd, since I was going to ask on my overheating thread, since I am probably in the same boat.

The six star does seem to be solid, with better construction and materials than OEM. The other is the felpro, but I'd (I'll) prob go six star.

Is there another that is thicker that is recommended? It may just be the six star I am thinking of.

Does anyone have the PN and location to buy the Six Star HG set for the 05 Leg GT?

Found Six Star on eBay, looks like order is coming from Minneapolis. Also on eBay.ca for us Canadians. Seems like none of the Six Star gaskets being sold are compatible with your 05 Leg GT but Allwheeldriveauto.com is selling them as well, maybe they'd have the one you need.

For the 11044AA633 compatible with my 08 Legacy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Six-Star-2-5-SOHC-Head-Gasket-Gaskets-11044AA633-Outback-Forester-Legacy-/121459867934?hash=item1c4792811e&vxp=mtr

Archived