LegacyGT.com

Need a great battery

Rossm

Alright guys, I haven't really done anything audio wise to need much of a battery, the only audio modification is a new XM headunit. However, I've been having a lot of battery issues lately and I figured if anyone knew they would be in this section. I put in a new engine 540 miles and one week ago. Before that my battery was running low and I had them replace it at the same time. However, the new battery is already dead. Yes, insanity, the new motor isn't even broken in yet. Nothing was left on overnight, I always check my lights and make sure my AP is unplugged but it still happened. Any advice?

A bit of a vague post. You replaced the entire engine recently? What kind of place did it? Did you have the people that did it check their wiring job? You said it was a week ago but you're talking about checking for leaving lights on over night. Does it hold a charge for more than a day or have you left it parked for a week? Don't all Legacys automatically turn the lights off when the ignition is off?

Do you have an aftermarket alarm? No amp to go with that XM head unit?

If you don't have any audio accessories and just stock equipment and you're sure you didn't leave anything on then check with the people that worked on it.

ALSO, if it turns out to be their fault demand a new battery. If it's not a deep cycle battery fully discharging it multiple times damages the electrodes and degrades it's ability to hold a charge.

Schucks/Kragen/Checker/O'Reilleys/Pep Boys/NAPA stores sometimes have a hand held computer that will analyze your charging system and tell you if its working right, and if not, tell you what is wrong for no charge (people don't want to buy new parts if they aren't sure and they don't want to have to deal with returns if you bought a new battery and what you needed was an alternator so its a win-win). Sounds to me like your alternator might not be working right or you have some wire that was not connected correctly when the car was put back together.

Juan

Probably not the battery if it's new. Have someone check the wiring system. If everything is off then nothing should draw any current from the battery; if so then something is draining it. If the alternator isn't working right or not hooked up correctly then it isn't charging right. Someone who deals with vehicle electrical systems is your best bet; not every mechanic knows how to troubleshoot problems like this.

Yea sorry I hadn't come back earlier, but I got it jumped off later the same day that I put up the original post and brought it to Autozone where they do that free test as mentioned above. They said the battery and alternator are fine and just to drive it around until it happens again. It has been a few days now and I haven't had any issues since so I guess it was just a one time fluke thing.

Archived