LegacyGT.com

Symptoms of Failing Fuel Pump

What are symptoms of a failing fuel pump. Currently my car has extreme hesitation issues at anything about 4500 rpms it bucks and feels like its misfiring almost, i replaced my plugs thinking that was the cause and it was not. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks,

Jeff

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

the car idles normal after reaching operating temp, but when it first starts up it runs like crap for about 10 seconds, just barely holding idle well enough to keep it from stalling, then works itself out.

Did it start after filling up a tank of gas by any chance? Ive managed to pick up bad gas a couple of times in my camaro and it had the same problems. Studdering all over the place and having issues on start up. Just a thought with the way gas prices are going lately, wouldnt suprise me if bad gas was lurking around. Other then that I image you would get a cell if one of your injectors is bad. I had 2 walbro pumps go out on me and when I turned the key on you could here the pump make some unusual noise before I cranked it. Then I tried to start it and got nothing.

so if the pump fails the entire car just wont run? I mean my walbro pump makes a whirring hum sound when it starts, thats normal. Maybe fuel pressure regulator?

Yeh, if your pump is bad your car just wont turn over. Almost like you dont have any gas in the tank, since it cant get fuel. I prob would try some datalogging to see if the car might be leaning out while carefully keeping a eye on your numbers.

If your fuel pump is bad the car will not start. Best way to check this is to turn on the key and wait to start the car you will hear the pump hum. If you don't hear it, it is bad. Also if it won't start and you have someone kick your fuel tank and then it magically fires up, it is a bad pump.

Another sign its bad is if the car runs fine under steady acceleration. If you let off the gas or trying to idle it will run like crap or die.

You said it idles like crap until it gets warmed up. Might be a head gasket leaking coolant into the cylinders. Coolant is then burned off and it runs fine. Check your coolant levels or pull a plug out after the car sits over night and see if it is wet.

Otherwise it sounds like it is something electrical or fuel related when things get warmed up.

i just pulled all the plugs and replaced them, my coolant level is fine, the car has never overheated in its lifetime. This car recently :spin::spin::spin:

• 6 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Just upgraded to dw65c. Probably didn't need to.

Stock fp, never changed the filter, 115,xxx k.

Man I knew I'd regret not taking a picture... if only I did. That damn filter did it's job alright, lots of crap on it.

Also the housing was littered with flakes and stuff (sorry I really should have snapped a pic, I just wanted to be done with it asap).

I think I'd have been fine just swapping out filter, but did the whole dw65c (cheap and easy).

If you guys have the hesitation symptoms (rpm can't hold when braking or going from a stop, before the car warms up), try and changed the filter at least (like $10), the filter works (actually filters stuff... a lot of stuff!) and its super damn easy.

Look up the guide and follow (remember to relieve fuel pressure by taking out the fuel pump fuse and start the car, let it idle and die out, a guide on nasioc didn't mention that.)

• 1 year later...

Archived