LegacyGT.com

Axle Back Exhaust, any still made?

Bovesnh1

This is a long, drawn out story and for that I apologize, but its sorta necessary to explain my situation. The long of it is starts just below, the short of it is labeled at the bottom if you want to skip to the end, lol! Any input is as always greatly appreciated!

My car has 92k on it, and has had and is now returned from the typical upgrades that we all do at some point during our ownership of an LGT. Specifically I had a Cobb AP stage II 93 octane OTS map installed, an ERZ catted down pipe, mated to an HKS Silent Hi-Power cat back exhaust. That setup was on the car for a little over 2 years. I also upgraded the sound insulation in the trunk to offset the loud drone I heard from the HKS when I was on the highway. The CBE ultimately became the first part I sold off back in Feb. 2011. The noise became too much, and an opportunity to sell it locally to a good home popped up so I got rid of it. I then installed the factory CBE and paired it to the ERZ and drove the car thru last month without issues. It was quiet, but still very fun to drive, sleeper mode if you will.

Unfortunately that was relatively short lived, some odd, unknown engine issues popped up and my car was at the dealer 6x last month, costing me a total of $1100 in diagnostics, parts, and labor. The dealer did lots of work on the car and was finally able to repair the problems, but in the process they told me that the AP needed to be uninstalled and new oem software installed to help the repair. Once that occurred I elected to return the engine completely to stock so I sold the AP and DP 2 weeks ago.

The short of it . . . It's been 2 weeks at stock configuration, the car is running great, dare I say better than how it felt stock when it was new back in 08. I was originally thinking I would trade it in, but my high mileage is hampering my potential trade value, so I'm going to keep it. However the sound deadening in the trunk that was pretty effective in mellowing the HKS, has caused my car to make no noise in stock configuration, I mean its submarine quiet now, lol!!!

So I'm considering purchasing an axle back exhaust for my 08 LGT 5mt if there are any still made. I know it wont result in power gains, I'm not looking for that, just a little more aural feedback and a return of the awesome subie burble. My dream AB would be a ProDrive, but we all know how hard those are to come by. Any ideas where I should start looking?

Gene

Thanks, I just came across that this afternoon. Have you ever heard one in person? I also found a megan that was still produced, however I'm sure that the AVO is significantly nicer in terms of build quality.

SubieDad51,

I'm familiar with the Perrin, but I think that would be too much noise for what I am looking to achieve. I had the HKS silent hi power CBE, it sounded awesome but in actuality was anything but silent, lol. Thanks for the info tho!

bummer, that was an option I was going to ask about. I did a little looking this am and came across the Blitz Nur Touring cans, but man were they expensive, something to the tune of $900 + freight, or $981 shipped!!! That makes the AVO cans a good buy at $699 + freight. Has anyone heard these? I had a hard time finding even youtube vids of that style, but I was curious.

Archived