LegacyGT.com

Trunk torsion bars: can someone post pictures or a diagram?

Does anyone have pictures of the torsion bars and how they mount? Or a diagram, maybe? I looked through some pics from my last vacation and didn't see anything that showed the bars, but maybe I was looking in the wrong album. ;)

One of the torsion bars is broken on my car, and when it broke, it appears to have smashed the trunk light and a plastic torsion bar retainer in the middle (?) I'm not sure which bar is broken either at the moment as both bars were lying in the trunk when I bought the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I found the part #s to order a replacement (TORSION BAR RIGHT E721SAG020, TORSION BAR LEFT E721SAG030) but I need to figure out which is broken and how they go back on the car.

I was going to make a smartass post about VW Bug suspension until I googled the part number and found out that, sure enough, there are "torsion bars" in the sedan trunks :lol: Anyhow, I think the vaca pic you're looking for is on page EB-25, in the body shots ;)....but it calls for a Special Tool :eek:
sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

I did see that. I think I can rig something for the "special tool", but the sketch they show doesn't really show how the bars connect and overlap each other. If anyone happens to have some pictures they can post, that would be great!

I found the spoiler installation instructions, so I should be able to figure out which part I need to order. (but it still doesn't show exactly how they mount in the trunk!) I think there is a plastic retainer "bar holder" in the middle that broke to bits. Anyone have the part # for that piece?

When mine fell out, I gave up trying to get it back on. I just ran it to the dealer and asked to borrow their special tool. It's like a long prybar type thing with a lip on the end.

Here's a diagram for the trunk bars and that little holder. http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_36/body_equipment_exterior/trunk_and_fuel_parts/illustration_3/

• 2 months later...

Well I decided I need to fix having to use both hands to open and hold the trunk open, so I ordered the torsion bar I needed and the retaining clip. Can anyone provide pictures of their torsion bars in their trunk? I'm having a heck of a time trying to get them in. So far it's trunk 3, me 0.

I may end up getting the dealer to put them on or seeing if I can borrow their "special tool" as mentioned above, but I'd like to make sure I'm doing everything correctly beforehand.

The plastic torsion bar retainer is part 22319KA000 if anyone needs it.

Here are the pictures I PMed to you......hope these will help anyone doing this job at home. BTW...you have to remove all the trunk liner to get at the end mounting slots. Good luck and watch out for pinched "Pinkies" :(:(

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/Bars.jpghttp://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/Middle.jpghttp://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/Right.jpghttp://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/Left.jpg

Here are the pictures I PMed to you......hope these will help anyone doing this job at home. BTW...you have to remove all the trunk liner to get at the end mounting slots. Good luck and watch out for pinched "Pinkies" :(:(

You rock! Got them on, thanks again! Thanks for the tip about pinching fingers, if I wasn't wearing gloves I'd probably be typing this with 8 or 9 non-wounded fingers!

They put the tension in the trunk so that it "pops" up a bit when you release the latch....if you have a spoiler on the trunk the stock torsion bars are not strong enough so you have to install heavier ones....Subaru makes heavier ones for each sedan model in the line-up.:)

They put the tension in the trunk so that it "pops" up a bit when you release the latch....if you have a spoiler on the trunk the stock torsion bars are not strong enough so you have to install heavier ones....Subaru makes heavier ones for each sedan model in the line-up.:)

Neat never knew that. It would suck to have dead weight back there when you pop the latch

Actually they are NOT the same ones....here are the part numbers for the OEM torsion bars and the "Kit" bars that come with the spoiler kit from Subaru.

OEM Right bar - 57529AG04A9P

OEM Left bar - 57529AG05A9P

Kit Right bar - E721SAG020

Kit Left bar - E721SAG030

Not sure if the colors are relevant but the OEM bars in my car were silver (So is my car) but the Kit bars that came with my silver spoiler were black...see the photos. Also the OEM bars are approx .72cm and the Kits bars are approx .79cm in diameter.

Hope that helps...the part numbers came from my local dealer parts manager.

Side note....when I did the same mod on my wife's Impreza....added a spoiler...the OEM bars were silver (White car) and the Kit bars were black.

Yes, the "spoiler bars" are an uprated version as Scooby Fan mentioned. The stock bars for trunks w/o spoilers are supposedly the same color as the exterior, whereas the bars for spoilers are black. If you have a black car like me, you can't tell as easily which bars you have.

In my case, I was just replacing a bar that broke. I did notice after I put one bar in, the trunk was staying open by itself instead of trying to slam shut and kill me. I didn't try opening and closing with only the one bar in it to see if it would act differently than it does now with both bars in.

I had a Honda that I bought w/o a spoiler and down the road I picked up a used factory spoiler w/o the uprated bars. After I installed the spoiler, the trunk would stay open by itself, but as soon as you started to close it, it would slam shut. You had to bring it down half way or so with your hand to keep it from slamming.

• 1 year later...
would someone be able to put the picture of these installed back up? i had a "incident" and these are both lying in my trunk and i may have a mild concussion from a trunk lid hitting me due to it missing its torsion bars to hold it up. i did learn that if a box isn't coming out of your trunk, it may not need to just be pulled harder, but it may indeed have something sticking out of it and that something is stuck on a torsion bar. THANKS! :)

• 2 weeks later...

what i could find online...

Remove Tortion bars

This is the PITA step here. Now, there are 2 ends to the tortoin bar. One end that attaches to the trunk arm and the other that is locked in place. First, get a big wrench or a big screw driver (as long as its big, you will need the torque). The part that attaches to the Arm looks like a U, place that wrench in the under side of that U and pry it off the moving piece on the trunk arm. Move that piece up so it fits flush against the arm, and let that U rest agaist there. Now, you are 1/3 done. Take that same wrench and pry out the ends of the U, once this is done, it might spring a little since its torqued a good bit. Once you have done this simply pull the bar out and start on the second one!!

Install tortion bars

Just reverse the removal procedure. Place the static part of the bar in its older, and position the trunk arm side as close as possible. Lift the trunk arm up and using that wrench pry the ends of the U into their olders. Then pty down on the U and extend that moveable piece on the trunk arm so it fits onto the bar. Once you have done this, you are done and good to start ont he other bar.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1273/5139226/11362735/166541613.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l180/Chif2006photobucket/sanppedbracketRHS1.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l180/Chif2006photobucket/crackbracketLHS.jpg

that picture looks BROKEN... I swapped trunks with someone and I didn't take the torsion bars, but I don't mind... it keeps the trunk open when it's open, and it doesn't quite "pop" open, but I can open it after pulling the latch so whatever... comes down a little hard, but I tend not to let it slam.

• 1 year later...

Archived