LegacyGT.com

Check engine light after new spark plugs/

Hey all - I'm pretty new to the Legacy world. I'm fairly familiar with Subarus, just not ones with turbos :). I recently took my 05 gt to get a new fuel filter and plugs, and when I got the car back, the check engine light was on, and the cruise light was blinking on and off. That cleared the next day, however the car seems like it is not running 100%. Like its not getting the boost it should. Its weird though. It starts out fine, but almost seems like the turbo gets "tired" around 4000-4500 rpm. Nothing major, just barely noticeable really. Am I just freaking out, or is there something I should be worried about? Car has 90k.

Fuel filter ehhh? What snake oil salesman sold you that? The gt has just a sock filter on the pump in the fuel pump assembly.

Maybe they botched the install, broke a coil pack connector, etc... What codes were thrown?

What plugs were used? Were they gaped correctly?

Regarding the fuel filter

"The fuel filter is a non-serviceable part and should last the life of the part. I am actually not even aware of it being sold separate from the pump, you have to buy the whole thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If your dealer tells you it needs to be replaced at 100K, ask them to show it in the SOA service interval and also ask them if they will be scraping your gas tank too while they are at it."

I'm assuming you do have a turbo car and would like to know how much they charged for spark plug replacement for the numbers I've heard are absurd.

The design of the cars with turbos don't allow for easy access for something like plug changes which in itself is mondo.One person told me you need to drop the engine to replace those plugs and I've been given a number from Town Motors of over $300.00 .If there is a positive it's that my car supposedly can go 100,000 miles before a change.

In any case I would use Chevrons product to help clean the entire fuel system including injectors.

Actually, a buddy of mine suggested replacing the fuel filter at 100k. He has a '11 WRX that he's always working on, so I figured he knew what he was talking about. Also, I have not had a chance to look at the codes, as I am in the USCG and was on duty for 3 days straight. I am not sure what spark plugs they used, or the gap. I can find out though. Like I said, its nothing major, performance wise. I might just be freaking out about nothing. But I'll definitely ask about the plugs.

What Chevron products, specifically, should I use?

I'm assuming you do have a turbo car and would like to know how much they charged for spark plug replacement for the numbers I've heard are absurd.

The design of the cars with turbos don't allow for easy access for something like plug changes which in itself is mondo.One person told me you need to drop the engine to replace those plugs and I've been given a number from Town Motors of over $300.00 .If there is a positive it's that my car supposedly can go 100,000 miles before a change.

In any case I would use Chevrons product to help clean the entire fuel system including injectors.

Yep the book way of doing it is wonky. I loosened my engine on the engine mounts and used a 2x4 to pry the engine around to get easier access to the spark plugs. It worked alright. Still it's not a simple / easy fix. Should be in the realm of $200

Archived