LegacyGT.com

Percentage of mechanical failures vs. reliable LGTs

Have you had any mechanical faliures on your 4th gen LGT?  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had any mechanical faliures on your 4th gen LGT?

• No problems
    • Engine internals failure
    • Turbo failure
    • Transmission failure

• I Donated

There has been some discussion as to what the actual failure percentage is on our cars for various components. I have had an engine failure (spun bearing), and I know many other people who have had engine (bearing or rod), turbo, and/or transmission failures on the forums. But, there are plenty of people on the sticky thread in this forum who have reasonably high mileage with no problems.

So I thought I'd start a poll. In addition to voting in the poll, please reply to the thread stating your model year, whether you purchased new or used, mileage, the mileage at which any failures occurred if applicable, and whether you are modded and/or were when a failure occurred. Oil change interval would be helpful as well.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
I'll start. Bought my LGT at 88,700 mi. At 91,500 mi, the engine spun a bearing. I am currently at 95,xxx mi. The oil had been changed before the purchase, but I am not sure on earlier OCIs.

Tranny rebuild's 4 times. Now it grinds going into 4th above 4000 rpm.

Engine uses oil, turbo started making more noise the other day. Today on the highway, I dropped it out of cruise and the car made a loud noise like an exhaust leak at the same time ??? then it stopped.

Drives find, still has power, got to work and everything sounds fine. May be just a little louder.

Update, I think the diff is going south. The tranny sometimes makes a clicking sound when I left off the gas. I have a spare tranny that I may have rebuilt and installed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Do you really expect to get accurate results in a thread like this?

Bought mine at 50k, currently at 93k. No problems. 5k oci. Currently using Rotella 5-40 and Mazda RX8 oil filters. (Guy I bought it from was meticulous about service. I got a booklet from him that had everything, oil changes, tire rotations, gas mileage logs...

Maybe this thread will confirm my suspicions that most of the turbo/engine failures are second or third owners with unknown service history.

This is a tough poll. The majority of people here, are people who either have already broken their car (and are searching for information about the failure), or those who are intentionally trying to break their car (by modification).

So this poll will only, really, tell us who has and has not had problems amongst enthusiasts alone.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Do you really expect to get accurate results in a thread like this?

Bought mine at 50k, currently at 93k. No problems. 5k oci. Currently using Rotella 5-40 and Mazda RX8 oil filters. (Guy I bought it from was meticulous about service. I got a booklet from him that had everything, oil changes, tire rotations, gas mileage logs...

Maybe this thread will confirm my suspicions that most of the turbo/engine failures are second or third owners with unknown service history.

This is a great point right here. Even those that say they have records from prior owners you never know how they drove them day to day. You just don't.

I've owned mine for 110k, bought brand new, and only major issue was rear trans bearings going out at 103k. I wouldn't call this a "Trans Failure" by any means as I was at Stg 1 for 25k before and have an upgraded clutch thus... not afraid to say it... I drive the car hard. I wasn't happy it cost me $900 to fix but to be honest at 110k with that being my only major problem, I'm ok with that. I change my oil every 3k and do every major service on time. A favorite quote of mine lately has been this: Garbage in, garbage out. You get what you put into these cars more often than not. That being said, of course there have been issues on here with people's cars. That's a fact. Whether everyone who has NOT had issues (like alllllll the people who have NO desire to join a forum but love their car) will come on here suddenly and post is highly unlikely. A happy customer tells two people what a good experience they had, an unhappy one tells 10.

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

There are plenty of people who owned their cars from day 1, changed their oil regularly with the magic oil of the day, drove like a grandma and still had troubles. Trying to turn this into a puritanical test of car love isn't going to get you anywhere or sever any purpose.

I agree that a forum like this isn't a good representation of the Legacy market as a whole. However, that doesn't make it un-interesting or without value to participants (or lurkers).

2006 OBXT

Bought used at 56k

Turbo replaced (under warranty) at 59,200 in early stage of failure.

No mods yet. I've begun collecting parts and pieces, getting ready for Spring.

Oil changed by dealer at 300 mi. and every 3000-3200 miles thereafter per original owner records.

Converted to Redline synthetic at 57k

• I Donated
There are plenty of people who owned their cars from day 1, changed their oil regularly with the magic oil of the day, drove like a grandma and still had troubles. Trying to turn this into a puritanical test of car love isn't going to get you anywhere or sever any purpose.

+1. There are people who beat on their car and never have problems, and people who "do everything right" and stuff breaks. But it's been unclear as to the overall breakdown of people who haven't had problems to people who have, regardless of that fact. That's what this thread is trying to ask.

2005 LGT-bought used in 2006 with 30k miles (ouch!)--now has 90k miles--40k miles at stage 2--no problems--change the oil every 5-6k miles with full synthetic oil (I know this interval will come as a shock to some lol)--has a leaky ps pump but other than that I cannot complain.

• I Donated
This poll is absolutely worthless without knowing the OCI and other maintenance performed by the owner.

1. It's not worthless if that info is omitted, it's just less useful.

2. I asked for that info in the OP anyway.

I want to see what the 07/08 Spec.B 6spd tranny failure rate is :-)

I had synchros go out at 10k

Rear diff went around 50k <- due to improper tow

Center diff went around 65k <- likely continuation of damage from improper tow

The synchros were an oddity AFAIK.

lol

1. It's not worthless if that info is omitted, it's just less useful.

2. I asked for that info in the OP anyway.

NO, it is absolutely worthless. Someone with an OCI of 10k miles that reports engine failure after 50k should not be considered. Many of you are second owners, meaning that you don't know any history of the car.

lol

I've had the release(?) bearing in the clutch go bad, twice and the clutch has had to be replaced once. I'll vote that as transmission problems.

I still think something is f'd up because the clutch is inordinately heavy compared to my test drive many years ago.

• I Donated
NO, it is absolutely worthless. Someone with an OCI of 10k miles that reports engine failure after 50k should not be considered. Many of you are second owners, meaning that you don't know any history of the car.

I would venture to say that any car has people who maintain it well and people who don't. I would also say that the ratio is probably skewed towards people who maintain it well on an enthusiast forum like this. But for some reason, it seems that our cars have much higher incidences of failure than, say, a Honda or a Nissan. I'm trying to get some data on that. Narrowing down how many of the problems are due to improper maintenance would be a nice bonus, but is not necessary to answer the question of whether our cars have a somewhat higher, or much higher, incidence of failure than average.

rao, I disagree. Love or magic oil fix all things. Please see SOA's advertising campaign and the 4,000 oil threads.
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Archived