LegacyGT.com

New guy needs some help!

I've been visiting the forum for a while now. I have found the answer to all my problems using the search function, up until now.

Car:

2005 LGT auto w/60K miles

History:

I bought the car for really cheap, because it has a rebuilt title. I noticed it made a strange noise right from the beginning and it turned out to be the turbo. I bought a 16g from bnr and the oil line kit that it requires for the warranty along with a catless down pipe. While I was at it, I bought two new oil control valves from fredbeans. I got the car together and had it tuned by a local guy with a good reputation. It was tuned to 15psi and a fairly conservative tune. The car ran great! I hit 1000 miles on the new setup and while cruising down the interstate it started to hesitate and I soon as I exited, the car died. First thing to come to mind was fuel pump or filter. After letting it sit for a couple minutes, I managed to get it started and to the gas station and had it towed home from there.

Here are the codes that it threw.

p0137-I think this is due to the rear o2 sensor not being turned off.

p2096-Same as p0137?

p0700-Tuner said this sometimes happens when the car won't start

p0725-Same excuse for p0700

p0021-As I said before, the control valves have been changed and the banjo filter removed.

I don't have an inline fuel pressure tester, but I did manage to hook up a fuel pressure gauge. I disconnected the fuel line from before the fpr and with one turn of the key it raises the pressure to 72-73psi. At this point, I am stumped.

Anything I can check next? Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

p0137 refers to a plugged catalyst. No or low air flow. the standard code after installing a hi flow downpipe is P0420. Catalyst over efficiency.

p2096 refers to a lean condition. But it is also coming from the same O2 sensor. Is it installed? It should be. If it is installed, it could be bad.

P0700 is a standard chassis code. Meaning the Tranny/ECM are unhappy. Is this a 5EAT?

P0725 is engine speed sensor malfunction. thing is speed sensors are part of the ABS system. These report back to the TCU which determines speed. Hence, the P0700.

P0021 is camshaft position. Could be a faulty ACVS solenoid..

p0137 refers to a plugged catalyst. No or low air flow. the standard code after installing a hi flow downpipe is P0420. Catalyst over efficiency.

p2096 refers to a lean condition. But it is also coming from the same O2 sensor. Is it installed? It should be. If it is installed, it could be bad.

P0700 is a standard chassis code. Meaning the Tranny/ECM are unhappy. Is this a 5EAT?

P0725 is engine speed sensor malfunction. thing is speed sensors are part of the ABS system. These report back to the TCU which determines speed. Hence, the P0700.

P0021 is camshaft position. Could be a faulty ACVS solenoid..

The o2 sensor is installed. I'll have to make sure the connection is good.

It is a 5EAT.

Have had autos (even my own 5EAT) throw a P0700 when flashing. Last time it happened because I started the car without letting the gauges sweep after a re-flash. I make it a habit to let the gauges sweep before starting any car now.

• 5 months later...

I can't believe it's been 6 months since this happened. Here is a little bit of an update in case anyone is interested.

I pulled the engine and found a couple of spun rod bearings. They were really bad. No doubt that the turbo going out caused this. I probably should have had the bearing checked before putting the new turbo on.

The engine is still at the machine shop but should be home in a week or so. I had to get a new crankshaft, new pistons, and rods. I went with a stock crank and forged oversides pistons and 07 sti rods. Obviously all new bearings to go with it and the rotating assembly is getting balanced. I picked up a covert oil pickup tube from import image racing and new timing set, water pump, and gasket set.

The turbo, I sent back to BNR to have checked out. He replaced the bearings in it and is sending it back today. Very happy with his turnaround time on this. (I sent it last Friday!)

I still need to pick up an oil pump for it and I'm going to try to replace as many hoses as I can.

Hopefully once I get it back together everything will be good to go. I think I'm going to have detuned a little so I don't have any transmission issues after this. I'm think 12psi would be nice and safe.

There are other small hoses and line to the oil cooler crossover tube you may want to replace and the turbo oil drain line. I also replaced all the heater and cooling hoses when I did the new short block a few months back.

The stuff add's up, but I plan to keep the car for another 8 years or more.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived