LegacyGT.com

Parrot MKi9200 is very nice

Nobody Special

Hi folks,

I'm actually an oldtime member of these forums and was active here several years ago under a different email address and a password I don't remember anymore. I have a 2005 Legacy GT and a life that hasn't allowed me to continue my car habit. But I installed a Parrot MKi9200 yesterday evening, and I'm so pleased that I'm giddy. I simply had to share the news and recommend this unit. It has full iPod functionality without needing an aux input, and also does Bluetooth hands free cell phone as well as Bluetooth A2DP audio.

Installation:

I bought a QuickConnect harness and would recommend that you do the same. No splicing at all, just plug and play. There are aux outputs on the Subaru MK harness that aren't used, but the unit is fully functional without them. The Parrot has five components: a blue box CPU unit, a microphone, a color LCD display screen, a set of connector cables, and a wireless remote control. I crammed the blue box behind the OE head unit, plugged in the harness, and started running cables.

The microphone went in above the rearview mirror, with the wire running under the headliner, down the driver's A-pillar, and under the steering column across to the CPU. Fishing this wire through under the steering column was the hairiest part of the install.

I ran the connector cables through the storage bin in the center console, up under the cupholders and transmission housing, and under the ashtray to the CPU. This bundle of cables comes with a grommet already on the cables; being impatient and tired, the hole I drilled in the storage bin was too small to install the grommet properly. I might go back and clean that up someday, but the hole didn't have any super sharp plastic edges.

The LCD display comes with an adhesive backed mount that I stuck onto the sunglasses holder in the front center of the dash, above the clock. Drilled a small hole in the back side of that compartment to fish the cable through and down to the CPU. The LCD also has an SD card slot -- load mp3's on a spare SD card and the Parrot will play them.

There are two ways to mount the wireless remote: On the steering wheel with an included rubber strap, or on a flat surface with an included adhesive mount. I chose the latter and stuck the remote under the shift lever right ahead of the seat warmer controls.

Functionality: It pairs with my phone and my wife's phone perfectly. Info from the phone's address book is available through the Parrot. Sound is gloriously clear, both coming and going. The audio connector cables include an iPod connector, a USB connector and a standard 3.5mm line in. The iPod is powered and fully controllable through the remote -- just plug it in, leave it in the storage bin and close the lid. Sound quality is excellent, in my opinion.

I highly recommend this unit. I don't have any financial interest or relationship with Parrot except as a satisfied customer. I'll be installing an identical kit in our other vehicle very, very soon. The whole setup will run you a shade under $300 including the QuickConnect harness if you shop around. You can save a few bucks if you choose the MKi9100 (2 line display instead of 2.8" LCD) or the MKi9000, which has no external display and relies on voice announcements to navigate the menus. I think the LCD is worth a couple of bucks, but that's obviously your call.

If there is interest, I can provide photos of my install, except for the install of the connector cable bundle which is embarrassingly sloppy. I don't know whether this is old news or just uninteresting.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how I missed this thread. I would be very interested in any install details and pictures you might have. I would also like to know what you think about the product now that you have had it for a few months.

I have been looking at the parrot for awhile but I haven't jumped on it because the reviews that I have seen have been spotty.

Thanks.

+ 1 here. I have the mini kit and really want to upgrade to the 9200. Where did you get the quick connector? Do you have a part #? Great review.

The Quick Connect part number is QCSUB1-MK. It's $50 at quickconnectproducts.com, but can be found for less with a trip to your friendly neighborhood search engine. I ordered mine from Beach Audio for $35.

I'm still pleased with the product. If my wife and I are both using our Parrots, the audio quality degrades a bit, and somebody has to ask someone to repeat herself occasionally. Parrot customer service is excellent. My wife knocked the wireless remote (other car, not the Subaru) off the dash and out of the car, and didn't realize it -- couldn't find it anywhere. Gone. I wrote to Parrot to buy a replacement, but they sent me one free of charge.

I'll try to remember to post a few pics once it's brighter and warmer outside. I should've snapped some during the install, most of the interesting stuff is hidden now. I'd be happy to answer any questions or provide whatever details you want regarding the install.

havanahjoe posted this thread Parrot Mki9100 where he describes his installation (with pics).

Mki9200 kit pictures from SonicElectronix

573746948_mki9200harness.thumb.jpg.39527d5b1fcbee5bd0aa03a4eb9200b9.jpg

(click for larger images)

More close-up pictures here (also from SonicElectronix).

It just occurred to me that if you have a 2005 or 2006 OEM HU (with the built-in [but unused] phone input feature), you can combine that with one of the many aux-in hacks (Jazzy, Leptronix, DIY soldering), so you can wire up the Parrot to route its phone audio into your HU's phone input and the streaming music into the aux in (and even skip the ISO and QC harness madness, if you don't mind cutting some wires on the Parrot's harness). If someone would like to be a guinea pig, I can help out with the harness for the HU's phone input.

mki9200.thumb.jpg.1ee0e27c976fab06852c4e275c7ac49b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Some install pics. Pic 1 is the display. The mount for the display has an adhesive back; as you can see, I stuck it on the door for the front compartment over the clock. Pic 2 is that door, open; you can see the cable going into the hole I drilled in the back corner of that compartment. Pic 3 is the wireless remote; like the display, this has a sticky mount that you can put anywhere you like. The last pic is the hydra of plugs for various attachments, coming out of the storage console. Please pardon the crumbs. The plugs include an iPod connector, a USB plug, and a standard mini headphone plug for a traditional mp3 player.

What's cool about the iPod integration is that the iPod menus appear on the unit's display, and you can navigate them with the wireless remote -- the iPod can stay in the center console or wherever you put it. It'll also charge it.

The interesting bits are, sadly, hidden behind the head unit. That's the QuickConnect harness, the Parrot control unit and all the plugs to connect everything. No way I'm taking the head unit out again to snap a few pics, sorry about that.

If you're unwilling to compromise at all on fidelity with your iPod, this may not be the unit for you. I think the way the Parrot outputs audio through the car speakers is by interrupting the head unit and replacing its own audio feed, which is amplified by a small Class D amp inside the Parrot control unit. So you aren't using the (better) amp in your head unit when you're listening to the iPod. Sound is perfectly satisfactory, except maybe to an audiophile.

Again, I'm happy to answer any questions I can. This seems like an easier way to get iPod integration with the stock head unit than are the existing kits that involve soldering and such, and you get Bluetooth hands free phone and audio capability in the bargain.

001.thumb.jpg.f29af6708727aa7514c3969b9cd89606.jpg

002.thumb.jpg.3f35c2621bb3d64d381a845eec9a41c9.jpg

004.thumb.jpg.d8b1166cb7b423e3c300a42ae7ed9ffd.jpg

005.thumb.jpg.f6c586eabd3d88eda3973c13d7ff35ec.jpg

Great pics, I got pulled over 2 days ago for talking on my cell phone so my kit is on it's way.

It looks like you have it paired with your droid, how is the integration? Does it transfer the phone book and will it transfer audio over bluetooth? I would love to be able to use pandora this way.

Great pics, I got pulled over 2 days ago for talking on my cell phone so my kit is on it's way.

It looks like you have it paired with your droid, how is the integration? Does it transfer the phone book and will it transfer audio over bluetooth? I would love to be able to use pandora this way.

Yes on both counts. The address book transfers to the Parrot, and audio on the Droid goes through the Parrot. Haven't tried Pandora specifically, but mp3's come through, as do the spoken directions when the Droid is navigating through Google Maps.

• 2 months later...
Would that screen have fit inside the cubby unobstructed with the door open?

I don't think so. That unit is 2.125 inches tall, and the cubby sort of shrinks front to back. If you want to mount the screen in the back of the cubby, you're probably better off with the MKi9100, which is functionally identical with a smaller, 2 line OLED screen instead of the LCD.

You can mount the 9200 screen inside of the cubby and it will still close. I am on my cell so I can't link my install pictures but if you search they are out there.

Found your pic. That's good to know.

picture.php?albumid=557&pictureid=2948

• 3 months later...
Hello!

I just bougth a Legacy and planing to install the Mki9200 in my car.

So one question, how did you get the cables into the cubby?

Thanks in advance!

Take off the housing that covers the shift lever and you can remove that whole plastic housing that sits atop the driveshaft tunnel. Once that's loose, it's simple to run the cables under there.

• 1 month later...

So for any of you with the parrot system installed, does it override the function of your iPhone? As in, can you still select songs and stuff from the iphone or does it FORCE you to use the parrot controller?

Also I noticed the only way to control volume is from the parrot remote correct?

So for any of you with the parrot system installed, does it override the function of your iPhone? As in, can you still select songs and stuff from the iphone or does it FORCE you to use the parrot controller?

Also I noticed the only way to control volume is from the parrot remote correct?

I can't tell you about the iPhone specifically, as I don't own one. But on all three of the Android devices I've used in the car, I've been able to make calls and select songs either from the phone itself or from the Parrot remote. As far as volume is concerned -- yes, you control volume with the Parrot remote.

Thanks for the quick response. How about volume for FM radio or CD's then? Does the Parrot override volume completely? or only for the device connected to it?

I kind of want to maintain the stock radio functionality as much as possible, the handsfree calling is the biggest thing. I'm thinking about getting a Parrot Evolution just for the handsfree, then a leptronix aux-in for music to retain normal volume control (plus avoiding the small amount of bluetooth artifacting). Would it be possible to use both at once?

Thanks for the quick response. How about volume for FM radio or CD's then? Does the Parrot override volume completely? or only for the device connected to it?

I kind of want to maintain the stock radio functionality as much as possible, the handsfree calling is the biggest thing. I'm thinking about getting a Parrot Evolution just for the handsfree, then a leptronix aux-in for music to retain normal volume control (plus avoiding the small amount of bluetooth artifacting). Would it be possible to use both at once?

Think of the Parrot as a device that sits between your head unit and your speakers and contains its own small amp. Whenever it wants to, it stops the signal from your head unit and replaces it with its own signal -- either audio from a phone call or audio from some other device. So when the Parrot is operating, it overrides volume from your head unit completely and replaces it with its own volume.

If you're concerned about Bluetooth artifacting from an aux input, bear in mind that the Parrot comes with a hydra head of hardware dongles (aux, USB, iPod). So this is not an issue, though I suppose you might be concerned that the fidelity of the Parrot amp is inferior to that of the stock head unit.

Archived