LegacyGT.com

Adding a Sunroof?

Threelions23

Possible, sure. Sunroofs used to be an aftermarket accessory, from real cheap to expensive. The only issue you might have is whether a standard Subaru sunroof comes complete with all the trim pieces (or other for that matter) or, if available just to replace broken parts on a factory install.

I've never had success with aftermarket sunroofs in my own cars or with buddys' cars.

They tend to leak, sometimes badly. But I live in a rain belt, and who knows how well they were actually installed. Plus this was about 10 years ago, so skill sets and technology and quality of parts have likely increased.

the company that makes the stock sunroofs, makes the best aftermarket ones as well. I had one on my 05 legacy and I loved it. it was better than the stock one on my LGT now.

useless signature line where i cant mention my sponsors

"First Bagged BL5!"

You could have a body shop order the roof skin for a sunroof car, and go from there.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

You mean the roof skin? It does require welding.

AND, this is assuming the interior roof structure is the same between the sunroof cars and non-sunroof cars, which it isn't on a lot of cars.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I remember a dealer that added on a few accesories to LGT an aftermarket sunroof was one of them. I think it opened "above" the roof. As in, when it opened it didn't tuck away into the roof it. You can try searching for pics, I know I saw it in this forum.

• 1 month later...

We added a moonroof from Inalfa juist after purchasing our '06 in Nov. '05. Works great, no leaks, no turbulence, no whistling.

About $1000 installed. Probably more difficult to fit on our OB than your LGT sedan.

Ask around locally for a good installer, & look at some examples of their work.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

We added a moonroof from Inalfa juist after purchasing our '06 in Nov. '05. Works great, no leaks, no turbulence, no whistling.

About $1000 installed. Probably more difficult to fit on our OB than your LGT sedan.

Ask around locally for a good installer, & look at some examples of their work.

Exactly.

A good installer is a must, and word-of-mouth from body-shops, high-end dealerships, etc., is the place to get such recommendations from.

$1000 was what our dealership paid, too, to cut in a Webasto roof for my wife's WRX, when we leased that vehicle in 2005.

The dealership made a mistake, and our vehicle arrived without a moonroof, which was something that we'd negotiated for, and that my wife really wanted.

The install took a half-day, where the installer literally came to us, with all his tools and the roof, and did his work on-the-spot, then detailed the interior as a part of his cleanup.

This particular moon-roof wasn't the "up and out" variety. Although it featured a tilt-to-vent option, it retracted fully into the headliner when it was switched to "open" mode. No "extra spoiler" atop the roof. ;)

The roof's been heavily used since day 1, and even as we turned the car in off-lease this past April, we never had *any* trouble with the unit. It's better than the factory roof, too, with illuminated controls, as well as an auto-close feature upon vehicle power-off and the door-locks being engaged.

Over the years, my wife's had 3 different Webasto roofs put into her various leased vehicles, and none have been problematic mechanically nor via its install. Each of these vehicles stayed with us about 2-3 years, with the last one, 4.

I think that modern roofs are well-built, and that as long as the installer is competent, weathersealing, at the very least, should not present as a problem.

---

With the monstrous opening of her new '09 FXT's factory roof, though...... she's more than happy! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

If you find anywhere that installs panoramic sunroofs, that'd be good info to know!

• 4 months later...
I had the Inalfa Electric Moonroof added in 2007 to my 05 LGT. love it. Unlike the factory version, it has the auto close feature. It;s all about the installer. Check to see where the dealers bring the cars, that's the guy to use.

Archived