LegacyGT.com

All season performance tire suggestions

tommboy

Ok so I popped my RE92's (good thing maybe?) and I need to go buy some All season tires that are performance orientated. I'm not looking to spend a ridiculous amount of money on tires but I do want the best bang for the buck. I own a Subaru 2008 Legacy GT Stage 1 upgrade as well as short throw shifter.

Please give me your best suggestions of what to get and maybe an idea of the price point

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i hear RE960s are the way to go but if you want to go for cheaper go with the kumho asx, im in the same boat as you but as for me i think ill be going a bit wider to 225s

RE960's are incredible tire for all-seasons in 3 seasons and usable in the winter conditions.

The best thing about Kumho ASX's are they are round and cheap in comparison. Think of them as all-seasons and RE960's as ultra high performance all-seasons.

Kumho ASX's served me well. I recomend them. Currently I tried a new set of Yoko Avid W4s.

I love em, smooth, super QUIET, great grip wet and dry, and excellent in snow, the tire rack rated them better than the BS or the Kumho.

Tread wear rating of 440, which is decent for an UHPAS tire.

I love my eagle gt's.... I've had them on the car for about a month and they handle great! I've been through snow, ice, and heavy rain and I couldnt be happier!

"ultra high performance all season" ftmfw!! ;)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+GT

+1

they have done very well during this pretty nasty Utah winter

If you have short throw shifer then buy Bridgestone Potenza RE960.

Krzys

:lol::lol::lol:

Krzys you killed me with that one!

Back to the original poster. I am driving on General Exclaim UHPs during the summer, these were a star tire in a recent tire rack test. Apparently the tire is made by Conti at a plant in Czech Republic?

The test didn't recommend them for winter use even though the tire has an all season rating. I got stuck in a snowstorm last spring and while nowhere near as good as my Hankook icebear snow tires, they performed satisfactorily.

I think that if you live in an environment where you have wet winters and occasional snowfalls (say Washington or Oregon state) that you'd be very happy with these tires!

Thanks Kryzs, Why do you make reference to the short throw being the reason to get that tire?

Because you mentioned it first when asking for tires.

;-)

Krzys

PS You can try Dunlop SP5000. They are old tech but you can get them at discount at tire-easy.com, size 225/45R17.

:lol::lol::lol:

Krzys you killed me with that one!

Back to the original poster. I am driving on General Exclaim UHPs during the summer, these were a star tire in a recent tire rack test. Apparently the tire is made by Conti at a plant in Czech Republic?

The test didn't recommend them for winter use even though the tire has an all season rating. I got stuck in a snowstorm last spring and while nowhere near as good as my Hankook icebear snow tires, they performed satisfactorily.

I think that if you live in an environment where you have wet winters and occasional snowfalls (say Washington or Oregon state) that you'd be very happy with these tires!

Were these ever offered in an all-season before they went to just summers? I recently saw an Audi with these tires on...and it's been about 15 degrees for the past week. Usually when is above 30 degrees, we get snow.

just curious.

should 225s on stock 17s be in anyway a problem? i mean i understand it will work, but it should be just as good as 215s right if not better?

i have 225/45/17 and it works fine. personally, i think 215's look better aesthetically because the stock 7" rim is just about as wide as the tire. 225's stick out a bit over the edge as a result, but not a whole lot.

performance wise, i think it'd be up for debate and there's a lot of factors involved. one could argue that because the 215's don't stick out over the edge of the rim that they'd be better (less flex) during cornering. also, 225's would have a slightly taller sidewall and therefore flex a bit more as a result of being 225/45 instead of 215/45.

however, the 225's are 10mm wider than 215, so there's more tread and therefore more grip with the pavement.

also, 225/45 is a larger overall tire than a 215/45, meaning you would gain a tiny bit of top speed, at the cost of acceleration due to the larger tire (gearing.)

as for having problems though, no, you won't have any.

Archived