LegacyGT.com

How good are our leather seats?

Kodax

First off, I have given up on the idea of me getting WRX seats into my car. After much research, I do not want to mess with the side airbags. My life is way more important than the seats.

Now I have been reading that leather seats can be swapped for cloth seats and it will be just plug and play. I was wondering how good are our leather seats? Do they hug you in the corners? I read from Subaru's brochure that the leather seats are designed performance seats. So I was wondering how good are they actually? Are they worth me paying $700 for it?

I like my seats quite a bit, but they definitely don't hug you in the corners. If that's what you're wanting, you might want to look into STI seats. THIS THREAD is a pretty good walk-through and you get to keep side air bags. No leather, though.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Check with your local upholstry shop if you are considering a cloth change over. I changed my last subaru from leather to cloth because it was all dry and cracking. The local shop gave me the entire brand new cloth set for $125. When they get cars from dealers or customers that want leather they keep the cloth take off's. Just had to buy the hog rings and hog ring plires to attach the new material with

http://www.drautorestyle.com/index.html

This is a link to the place in buffalo where I got mine. It does not list that they have these take-off's but they have a warehouse full of them.

I like my seats quite a bit, but they definitely don't hug you in the corners. If that's what you're wanting, you might want to look into STI seats. THIS THREAD is a pretty good walk-through and you get to keep side air bags. No leather, though.

I don't really care about the leather. I just want something that will hug me in the corners. I am looking at that thread and it seems like I have to re-install the legacy side airbags back into the seats. Am I right?

I'm not totally sure, but I think they said 04-05 STI seats have compatible air bags so you don't need to swap those. You would need to swap the passenger seat sensor that controls the on/off function for the passenger air bags, and seat heaters if you have them. Also, the Legacy power seat bases aren't compatible with STI seats I believe.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Archived