LegacyGT.com

Help - messed up the hot/cold knob on my manual climate control

BryanS

So, I pulled the stereo out of my car to install an OEM iPod kit and part of the process involved disconnecting the control cable for the hot/cold air mix from beneath the dash, near the drivers foot well. I got the kit installed and reassembled everything. When I did I found that the hot/cold knob on my climate control was very stiff and didn't like to turn past the midpoint, from the hot end of the spectrum, so I was stuck with hot air blowing all the time. It seemed like, given a bit of force, the knob would turn to cold but seemed to spring back.

Anyway, I finally got around to disassembling everything again and it looks like I put a kink in the control cable, back where it comes from the climate control system. I tried to straighten it out but it's not behaving well and I expect that I will need to replace the control cable. I've been looking for a part number online and among the vacation pics but haven't found anything.

Has anyone else had to replace this cable or have a part number for this cable? Any advise would be welcome as I'm now stuck with cold air since I manually set the mixer to cold and left the cable end disconnected.

• 1 month later...
oh damn i've got the same problem.... well almost. i'm stuck with cold air but the knob turns alright (just a little bit stiffer that it used to be).... anyone knows what could it be/ how could i fix it?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
I crawled under the dash, looked at where the cable attached and "gentlly" turned the knob back and forth. I watched the arm move back and forth. The arm to the LEFT of where the cable attaches moves without opening the door, no door track is visible, SEE ATTACHMENT PIC. When you pull the radio out, the cable pulls the climate control assembly apart just enough for the plastic arm with the pin to pull out of the door track. Then, if the door closes, you get only cold air. If the door remains open, you get only hot air. This next part requires LOTS of patience.....and attempts. You must reach up inside and endure a little pain because the space is tight, and "GENTLY" pry the moving arm to the right while turning the climate control knob and get the pin to pop back into the door track. I had only cold air which meant the door was closed and I could not see the track, but once you pry it apart enough and turn the knob, it pops in very easily with an audible snap. Just don't pry too hard, it's plastic and it will break, especially in cold weather. This was my scenario which may work for others. GOOD LOOK and try not to get too worked up.......It takes patience. The picture shows the pin inside the door track as it should be normally....just under the word "POST" and above the word "CLIP"

101_0887.thumb.jpg.63d40aabae93ece929b90d7c086c74b8.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived