LegacyGT.com

2.5 GT Limited vs 3.0 R

Hi, sorry if this gets asked a lot, but can someone clear this up for me? Search didn't help me much.

I was looking at the Legacys on Edmunds and comparing the 2.5GT Ltd and the 3.0R, and other than engines and a bit less power and torque in the 3.0, is there any difference between the two? Is it the interiors? What am I missing?

The 3.0R gets Bilstein struts/shocks similar to those found on the Spec B, while the 2.5 GT Limited has the more pedestrian KYB struts/shocks. Also, the 3.0R is only available with an automatic transmission, while the 2.5 GT is available with a choice of manual or automatic.

Interiors are the same between the 2.5GT and the 3.0R. VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control) is standard on the 3.0R and on the 2.5 GT is an option that is included with the Navigation package I believe. Navigation is only available on the automatic trans.

The main difference IMO is that premium fuel is RECOMMENDED in the 3.0R, and REQUIRED in the 2.5GT.

I decided to go with the 2.5GT over the 3.0R after I test drove them, and I even went with the AT & Nav. White was a requirement on my part as well. The 3.0R does NOT come in White. Niether does the Spec B. The 2.5GT just felt more peppy/sporty. I also know that the aftermarket for the 2.5GT is much greater than the 3.0R. I can always upgrade my suspension, among other things, down the road, and probably make a better one for less money.

Subaru says that the 3.0R is supposed to be their "flagship" Legacy. Smoother engine, standard Nav, spec B borrowed suspension, etc... I say drive them both, and then decide.

Hi, sorry if this gets asked a lot, but can someone clear this up for me? Search didn't help me much.

I was looking at the Legacys on Edmunds and comparing the 2.5GT Ltd and the 3.0R, and other than engines and a bit less power and torque in the 3.0, is there any difference between the two? Is it the interiors? What am I missing?

did you search subaru's website? did you visit a dealership and pick up a brochure? did you download a brochure?

edmund's is a great place to research pricing, but i wouldn't consider it an authoritative source for much else

I find it interesting that Subaru calls the 3.0R their flagship but the Spec. B costs more. I can't figure out why? Only difference is the Turbo Engine and Tranny (which is manual in spec. b). Any other differences that would have the spec B. cost more?

I guess they go by displacement :rolleyes:

did you search subaru's website? did you visit a dealership and pick up a brochure? did you download a brochure?

edmund's is a great place to research pricing, but i wouldn't consider it an authoritative source for much else

I looked at Subaru's website, and then ended up at Edmund's because the site was not that informative. I just don't get the 3.0R I guess, it seems to cost the exact same as the 2.5GT Ltd but offer less power, mpg, and modding capability, so I was confused - I thought there waqs some great hidden secret, but I guess its pretty much the same car.

Fwiw, I've always imagined adding the tuning chip to the GT, so it seems to be the car for me at least.

Thanks for the answers.

I looked at Subaru's website, and then ended up at Edmund's because the site was not that informative. I just don't get the 3.0R I guess, it seems to cost the exact same as the 2.5GT Ltd but offer less power, mpg, and modding capability, so I was confused - I thought there waqs some great hidden secret, but I guess its pretty much the same car.
The 3.0R can burn Regular, has higher resale value, and has the same performance up to at least 75mph as the 2.5T 5EAT. They appear to be bullet proof. There are virtually no mods available.

The 2.5T is lighter, can be had with a manual trans, and has a lot of aftermarket support.

They don't sell the 3.0R SpecB in USA, just the 2.5T version.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I just don't get the 3.0R I guess, it seems to cost the exact same as the 2.5GT Ltd but offer less power, mpg, and modding capability, so I was confused - I thought there waqs some great hidden secret, but I guess its pretty much the same car.

Cheaper Fuel

Power delievery

Spec B "upgrades" at a lower pricetag

No Turbo charger to be concerned with

All and all, I think the 3.0 is probably a better around the town, city car than the LGT. 0-60 in 6.5 is competitive for the midsize segment.

I can see the appeal. You arent losing much, but the gains are decent

Don't look at peak numbers as they don't tell the whole story.

The 3.0R has a broader power delivery more suited for the auto and at speeds most of us encounter. More relaxed and effortless acceleration.

The 3.0R is more of the upscale luxury model, the six cylinder is more relaxed and sounds better. Sixes sound better than fours anyway.

• 7 months later...
Not to correct any of you too much but the 3.0R is a more costly car to produce and when released by Subaru the made the price point where it was to feel out how the market would feel about it.(thats why there were 3-4 times the amount of spec b's produced) Also the call it the flagship because the 3.0 engine has a lot more craftsman ship and less problems then the 2.5. #.0 engine is actual hand-built and inspected in japan and then shipped to american plants. The 2.5 however is assembly line built in the Indiana plant and more mass produced. And the top end of the 3.0R is even greater than the 2.5 after 80 mph the 3.0R has greater times and top outs(168-3.0R, 156-Spec B, 149-GT) Now the SpecB is a great looking car with really nice seats and performance(the shocks on a 3.0R are specB but not tuned as sporty as the specB's) So the surmounting question SpecB or 3.0R it just depends what you are using it for. (ohhhh yeah Premium is Required on 3.0R as from a Subaru Corporate Rep. for Service)

Sorry, the 3.0R is a dog compared to any MT LGT or SpecB.

I know, I bought the 3.0R and it was a mistake. Traded it in for the SpecB 7 months later.

It was a nice cruising car, but the lack of torque just made it no fun to drive for me. Even my wife wasn't happy.

The SpecB has a better ride than the 3.0R also. Probably due to the crappy tires they put on the 3.0R.

They are two very different cars and I don't think the resale is higher on a 3.0R either.

yeah i also test drove a 3.0 before getting my xt and was not impressed at all. the 2.5 was fun and the 3.0 was dull. my old 97 maxima 3.0 vq was also a lot smoother. maybe they changed something in the 07-08 3.0's but in 05 the 2.5 was considerably more fun and faster. the best part is for around 1000 bucks im smoking my friends 07 stage 2 wrx 5mt in my 5eat.

Guest heightsgtltd
The 3.0R can burn Regular, has higher resale value, and has the same performance up to at least 75mph as the 2.5T 5EAT. They appear to be bullet proof. There are virtually no mods available.

The 2.5T is lighter, can be had with a manual trans, and has a lot of aftermarket support.

They don't sell the 3.0R SpecB in USA, just the 2.5T version.

BS on the bolded statement. I own the GT, and have ridden in the 3.0, and no way the 3.0 snaps you back in your seat with acceleration

... the 3.0R is a more costly car to produce... Also the call it the flagship because the 3.0 engine has a lot more craftsman ship

I think that Subaru had some 3.0 H6 left after hoping to sell 30000 B9 Tribeca's per year. They were forced to put new engine into Tribeca which freed even more 3.0 to be used somewhere else (Legacy and Outback).

Krzys

I test drove the 3.0R, the Spec.B and the GT and decided on the GT. I didn't pick the Spec.B because of the ridiculous price tag, and I didn't pick the 3.0R because I felt like I was driving a slower Camry.

In the end, stage 2 confirms that I made the right choice on a daily basis.

The 3.0rs could never keep up with my 05 5eat even when it was stock. It was the same race everytime me winning with a 2 car lead. Now that im stage 2 they get rolled pretty hard. The trq of the stock lgt would gain me most of my lead by the time i was shifting into 3rd. About 60mph with stock rev limit i would have the 2 car lead

When I bought my Outback (my first Subie) some months ago I test drove the L L Bean 6 cylinder NA version and the 2.5XT 4 cylinder turbo. While the NA 6 cylinder had a bit more torque off the line (maybe due in part to the AT), the turbo 4 OWNED the 6 all the way through its powerband.

• 5 weeks later...
BS on the bolded statement. I own the GT, and have ridden in the 3.0, and no way the 3.0 snaps you back in your seat with acceleration
While I have driven head-to-head with a co-workers' 05 LGT 5EAT several times, and swapped cars. They're very close.

The manual is geared lower and undoubtedly accelerates 0-60 faster, if that's an important purchase criterion.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived