LegacyGT.com

2007 XT Exhaust Question - installing systems designed for a GT

Hi All,

I have searched and found a lot of good info on nearly every aspect of my XT.

I want to upgrade the exhaust and read about the trick of using longer hangers to put GT (or GT replacement) mufflers on an OB. The idea being that the longer hangers eliminate the need to trim the rear facia.

I don't mind trimming the facia but may use the longer hanger trick to do the initial install, that way I can better judge just how much to cut out.

Here's the deal, I'm an old guy that wants a better exhaust flow but is not much louder than the OEM set up. I especially want to avoid any droning at highway speeds.

I have done a bunch of looking and have narrowed it down to either of these two approaches:

1. Just replace the OB mufflers with OEM GT mufflers.

2. The option I'm gravitating towards is the Stromung Twin Tip Catback. I really like the setup. What I don't know:

- how loud it is (I heard a sound clip and it seemed to growl nicely but not very loud - although the car was parked while being reved)

- if there is anything other than the clearance on the rear facia that stops it from being a straight bolt on.

Here's a link to the cat back: http://www.renickmotorsports.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=254_351_362_374&products_id=1338

Here's their disclaimer that it won't fit:

Stomung's new twin tip catback for your 2005 Legacy GT Sedan or Wagon. This full stainless catback is 3"- 2 1/2" twin tip staggard desing mufflers. Will not fit Outback GT models.

Any thoughts on this? Is there another/better option I should consider. Is there a place to get better pricing on the cat back?

Thanks in advance from a Sub Noob.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing that really fits the OBXT. Anything you get for it is going to have to be modded to clear the bumper.

ITs not that loud at all. In fact, after I installed mine, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't louder. You will not attract any unwanted attention with it thats for sure.

Bumper is the only thing stopping it. You could always get a GT bumper, but that might be a bit more expensive route to take.

subscribing,

because that's excactly how I feel and am looking for a good exhaust, too. capitan, do you have equal lengh headers it seems that that contributes to quieting down exhaust noise a lot. and does it drone at all?

Nothing that really fits the OBXT. Anything you get for it is going to have to be modded to clear the bumper.

It's not that loud at all. In fact, after I installed mine, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't louder. You will not attract any unwanted attention with it thats for sure.

Bumper is the only thing stopping it. You could always get a GT bumper, but that might be a bit more expensive route to take.

Cool. I was hoping the bumper was the only obstacle :^)

So are you running the OEM GT Mufflers or the Stromung setup?

well for the winter I put the stock OBXT cans back on, but I have a full Stromung TBE that I run during the warm months :).

I don't have equal length headers, though I did have the stock header ported, polished, and ceramic coated.

The noise is not a problem at all. Its noticeable, but I wouldn't call it drone. I had a 2002 WRX wagon with a Stromung TBE on it as well, and I would say that that was louder than the OBXT is.

I have a few pics and write ups of my thoughts on a few threads somewhere.

I know one guy cut out the area on his bumper to fit his Megan Racing Catback (which is very similar, though with smaller tips)

Also, I had custom resonated tip sinstalld by Stromung, which is not an option that any of the vendors that sell them offer.

Thanks captain.

Now you have me curious why you switch exhausts for the seasons? I'm a car guy at heart but that's the first time I've heard of seasonal exhaust setups :icon_conf

Did you buy your exhaust directly from Stromung?

I was going to make changes to my the way the cans sit (they're a little crooked), an then I needed to go into the dealership for some warranty work, and then it got too cold for me to crawl under the car, so the stockers stayed on for the winter.

I bought through boxer4racing.com, I've done some orders through them before and they're good guys, but honestly, you're best bet is to go and call Stromung up directly. They'll give you the best price and you can order anything custom you might need. One word of advise though, they are slow.

Here's the deal, I'm an old guy that wants a better exhaust flow but is not much louder than the OEM set up. I especially want to avoid any droning at highway speeds.

I've been thinking about this too (at 38, I guess I'm an "old guy", too by comparison to many here), but came to the conclusion that the real "bottleneck" in these exhaust systems, if any, is most likely not the stock airbox, or the rear mufflers....but most likely the fact it's a single pipe system--with the exception of where it comes off the exhaust manifolds/headers and right before where it routes to the rear mufflers.

Let's face the facts: Along the same lines as the disappointment associated with certain other things which are "faux" and come in pairs....

...we have "faux" dual exhaust.:lol:

Cheers,

Tim G.

'05 OBXTL-5MT

I've been thinking about this too (at 38, I guess I'm an "old guy", too by comparison to many here), but came to the conclusion that the real "bottleneck" in these exhaust systems, if any, is most likely not the stock airbox, or the rear mufflers....but most likely the fact it's a single pipe system--with the exception of where it comes off the exhaust manifolds/headers and right before where it routes to the rear mufflers.

Let's face the facts: Along the same lines as the disappointment associated with certain other things which are "faux" and come in pairs....

...we have "faux" dual exhaust.:lol:

Cheers,

Tim G.

'05 OBXTL-5MT

hehe, I'm 49 and am probably considered an antique around here :icon_bigg

Good point about the faux exhaust, it's a shame it's so obvious when viewed from the rear. To make it less obvious, they could have at least made the split in front of the differential. Wouldn't make a functional difference but it wouldn't look so silly. Oh well, I still like the car anyway.

Oh well, I still like the car anyway.

I'm with ya' on that--it's a helluva' car, and awful nice to have around in the slippery stuff, especially all the ice (at least with my studs).

I had been hoping to try mine out on the beach during our annual trup to Outer Banks, NC in late Sept, but we ended up taking our Expedition instead because we needed A LOT more room for passengers and gear.

Maybe THIS year! ;)

Cheers,

Tim G.

• 1 month later...
I think it would look better to cut out the bumper and add the aluminum exhaust garnishes from japanparts. Less expensive than a bumper swap, and very nice!
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I checked into the aluminum garnish from JDM, and it is spefically designed for the sadan, not the wagon bumpers.. I too want the GT look of exhaust out the back.

So, is there any LGT wagon owners out there who want to sell their cans (becuase they have switched out exhaust?). If so, PM me. I'll be cutting my bumper and seeing if I can manufacture the aluminum garnish that will cover the cuts AS WELL as fit the LGT wagon pre-cut holes Maybe).

if anyone has beat me to the idea above, would love to see pictures.

jdkobe

I am in the process of installing the Autospeed cat back on my OBXT. Instead of cutting the bumper, I opted to take the new cans in and have them weld on a turndown like the stock OB exhaust. Should have it done middle of next week, so I will try to post some pics. Other than the tips the whole cat back bolted right up with no other issues. ( I mocked everything up last night.)
Reality is nothing but a collective hunch. :icon_cool

I always though it was a waste to have the two cans on the OBXT since you don't see them anyway. It would be cheaper to have a single can setup with a turndown. I though about using my prodrive axleback from the old wrx and have a muffler shop fab something up but i don't like anyone working on our car and they would probebly do a real hack job on the bends and welds. I will buy the MR, if they come out with a wagon version and mod the bumper to fit.

Dan

Archived