LegacyGT.com

Another hack! Now KEYLESS REMOTE unlocks ALL DOORS at once!

centerpunch

DISCLAIMER: No guarantees, but it worked for me. If your car explodes, that's your problem!

I have always HATED pushing the remote button twice to unlock the car. I hated it on my Audi S4, and I hated it on my STi, and now I hate it on my GT.

So, I downloaded the appropriate pages of the Legacy manual, and figured out how to fix this problem.

There are two wires out of the control system. One wire sends a signal to unlock the driver's door when the button is pushed. Then if you push the button again (with the right timing, which I always get wrong), a different wire sends a signal to the other 3 doors.

This mod cuts the second wire, and connects it to the first, so when you press the remote button the first time, it unlocks all four doors.

THERE IS A PHOTO INCLUDED IN THIS POSTING. YOU MUST REGISTER AT THIS SITE TO VIEW THE PHOTO. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS MODIFICATION WITHOUT REVIEWING THE PHOTO.

1) Remove the panel under the dash on the driver's side. (1 pushpin, and 2 of those plastic pins with the philips-head 1/4 turn screw)

2) The OBDII diagnostic connector is snapped into this panel. Release it with a screwdriver so you can get this panel out of your way.

3) Put your back on the doorsill, and poke your head under the dashboard. You will see a black box under the steering column that has 3 electrical connectors plugged into it.

4) On the connector that is closest to the front of the car, examine the two wires that are on the very end. The top wire is red with a green stripe, and the wire under it is light green.

5) Cut the top wire (red with a green stripe).

6) Do NOT cut the light green wire.

7) Get one of those connectors that lets you tap on wire into another, then connect the LONG PART of the red-wire-with-a-green-stripe (the part thats coming from the wiring harness) to the light green wire.

http://www.happcontrols.com/electrical_supplies/43082400.htm

8) There will be a short section of the red-wire-with-a-green-stripe that is left sticking out of the gray connector. Do not hook this to anything. Insulate the end with electrical tape.

9) Voila! It works!

underdash2.thumb.JPG.9aa3c409b6deafc1abd7e699ae769ea3.JPG

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, it opens up possibilites with the extra wire. Remote starter without carrying an extra fob? A sunroof open or close? :p

Maybe.

Be sure to check what comes out of that wire before you hook it up to anything else. I examined the schematic to confirm that this hack simply groups all 4 of the identical door locks together, but I didn't analyze what the exact signal was for locking and unlocking.

Door locking solenoids typically have 2 wires going to them, and the polarity changes between lock and unlock.

So before using the wire for some new purpose, find out what it does when:

a) you push the unlock button the first time

b) when you push the unlock button the second time

c) you push the lock button

Hmm, it opens up possibilites with the extra wire. Remote starter without carrying an extra fob? A sunroof open or close? :p

Maybe.

Be sure to check what comes out of that wire before you hook it up to anything else. I examined the schematic to confirm that this hack simply groups all 4 of the identical door locks together, but I didn't analyze what the exact signal was for locking and unlocking.

Door locking solenoids typically have 2 wires going to them, and the polarity changes between lock and unlock.

So before using the wire for some new purpose, find out what it does when:

a) you push the unlock button the first time

b) when you push the unlock button the second time

c) you push the lock button

I don't have the schematic, but it seems to me there are two outputs from the alarm/remote unit, one of which you don't use anymore (double unlock)? I am speaking of this. BTW where are you getting the schematic?

I don't have the schematic, but it seems to me there are two outputs from the alarm/remote unit, one of which you don't use anymore (double unlock)? I am speaking of this. BTW where are you getting the schematic?

Well, it's not a schematic, it's a wiring diagram. A few days ago I signed up for the 72 hour "download pdfs from the manual" from Subaru ($20).

Yes, you are right, there are 2 outputs, and the red-with-green-stripes wire is the output for that double button press on the remote.

But that wire may be grounded when you unlock, and +12V when you lock. Or vice-versa. I'm just saying make sure what comes out of that wire under those 3 circumstances before you decide to use it to control a different function.

Drift Monkey -

I will do that the day I bring mine home. I've documented that mod for every car club I've been part of since 1992.

My method is to have them be able to come on with the parking lights and to stay on with high beam. That way they still turn off when you turn off the lights - you don't have to remember to hit the fog switch every time you leave the car (and it looks better than fogs alone).

Drift Monkey -

I will do that the day I bring mine home. I've documented that mod for every car club I've been part of since 1992.

My method is to have them be able to come on with the parking lights and to stay on with high beam. That way they still turn off when you turn off the lights - you don't have to remember to hit the fog switch every time you leave the car (and it looks better than fogs alone).

A friend and I did this in my WRX so that I could turn them on/off independely of ALL other lights, yet still turn off if you turn off the car. Don't really know why, but I like being able to use my fog lights independently of everything...maybe it's a control issue... :p

Thanks though, rest assured I'm looking forward to any write-ups in the future! 8)

Guest *Jedimaster*
centerpunch is ona roll...

Your next mission, if you choose to accept it, is to wire the foglights independent of the rest of the lights...

This message will self destruct when you accomplish your mission.

I'm in for that mod as well.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Well, I posted the instructions, but mine's been working great since Wednesday, if that counts.....

Great! I'm going to do this soon- glad to hear yours is functioning well. It takes a pair to go cutting those wires, service manual or not- thanks for being a pioneer!

As explained in the instructions:

1) The red-with-green-stripe wire must be cut.

2) You can then use one of those splicing clips to connect the UNCUT light green wire to the CUT red-with-green-wire coming from the wiring harness.

3) The stub of the red-with-green-stripe-wire that protrudes from the car's large connector should be taped off and not connected to the other wires.

• 2 weeks later...