LegacyGT.com

Frozen axle/trans?

Yesterday was the first freezing cold & snowy conditions my 2006 OBXT MT faced. I was in and out of the car a couple of times, driving fairly aggressively in 15" snow then letting it sit for a couple of hours while in the house.

Each time I got back in, the axle or transmission would be frozen stuck requiring more than normal throttle to "unstick", accompanied by a fairly big thunk. At first I thought it was the e-brake but I left that off to test and had the same problem.

Is this normal for MT OB/LGTs?

Maybe it's all the snow that's packed into the wheel wells, rims, undercarraige, axles from driving "aggresively" in 15" of snow. Some of it melts against the warm parts of the car, then when you park it outside it freezes again. I doubt it has anything to do internally with the transmission.

Enjoy sledding with the Subie:icon_bigg .

Last week I drove through Southpark Colorado looking at properties in a rural area, after a lot of snow and some major wind. We took a "short cut" and got into an area where the snow was about a foot deep on the dirt road east of Jefferson with higher drifts that were blown across. If I stopped, I would have gotten stuck. There were a couple spots where you could tell a pu-truck had to dig himself out after sliding off the road. When I got out of there, I noticed a lot of snow that built up inside the wheel wells and lots of noise like above. I just tapped it with a hiking pole and cleared it out. It does get wedged up in there...

I have driven my new 06 scooby in sweden for about 3 months now and I've had no problems with my car this winter, I know that there is always a lot of snow inside of the wheel wells but all cars have this problem in the winter.

Here it sometimes gets as cold as -15 to -20 somedays and my tires have never been frozen to the ground after leaving my car outside for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

^+1

happens when i rinse my car. It will happen if the brakes get a little wet after some good braking too like snow melting over the calipers. Just a little surface rust between the pads and the rotor as they are always touching.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Maybe it's all the snow that's packed into the wheel wells, rims, undercarraige, axles from driving "aggresively" in 15" of snow. Some of it melts against the warm parts of the car, then when you park it outside it freezes again. I doubt it has anything to do internally with the transmission.

Enjoy sledding with the Subie:icon_bigg .

That happened to me last weekend when I got stuck.

no problems here. -20 c and alot of snow. Only some rattles and quirk sounds from mirrors, rear hatch etc. due to the cold.

My previous BMW often got the brakes frozen and caused similar experience when left in the cold.

Archived