LegacyGT.com

Front door speakers, are they just mids?

BigBlack-V

My passangers door speaker is shot and i was curious if its just one of those mid speakers since the tweeter is above is? I am terrible with car audio but what size and type of speakers in the front doors?

Jay

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

on that speakers install thread the front doors and speakers are seperates should i just get a mid speaker or the compenent speaker with the tweeter in it?

what speakers do you suggest? something nicer but cheap maybe from amazon...? one that fits and doesnt need spacers as the sticky suggested if the speakers are too fat...

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

I put Polk db6501 components in mine. That's a separate mid with adjustable tweeters.

They're power hungry though, and need an amp to run properly. For a little over 100 bucks, they're decent enough for my needs.

Check out http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

thanks man but im not a huge system guy i just want a set of $40-60 speakers that will sound good with a stock HU

these have great reviews but will they fit without the spacers the sticky talks about?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-5-Inch-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B000P0PF9G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358522359&sr=8-2&keywords=polk+db6501]Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers: Car Electronics[/ame]

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

thanks man but im not a huge system guy i just want a set of $40-60 speakers that will sound good with a stock HU

these have great reviews but will they fit without the spacers the sticky talks about?

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers: Car Electronics

ah ha beat you to it noob and amazon has them for cheaper :p

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

• I Donated Too

yeah, I actually got mine from ebay, but I didn't feel like doing a search on there

Was just steering you n the right direction. Plus, Sonic has 30day money back guarantee and free shipping, tech support, etc.

I didn't use spacers, but if you have them done professionally (which I recommend) they will take care of that for you most times.

or should i get the slim ones ...?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Slim-Mount-6-5-Inch-Speakers/dp/B000P0NJPS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1358522714&sr=8-10&keywords=6.5+speakers]Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651s Slim-Mount 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics[/ame]

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Well, you can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Coaxials have the name they do because they have both a woofer and tweeter on the same axis. You generally don't want to run two different tweeters, especially mounted in two different locations
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Well, you can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Coaxials have the name they do because they have both a woofer and tweeter on the same axis. You generally don't want to run two different tweeters, especially mounted in two different locations

So should I maybe to with just a mid? If so what one off amazon?

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Go ahead and run them both at the same time. I did not have the factory tweeters and just installed coaxials. The tweeters in them are so low and shooting into my calf that they didn't put out much sound. I installed a Subaru tweeter kit and am happy with the setup now. In theory, in a good sound stage, keeping the speakers as close together is true for optimal imaging. But you're not in an optimal setting with a good sound stage. You are in a car. Compromises must be made. Just do it with both hooked up and enjoy.

The Polks mentioned would be a good choice. I would not get the slim model, The standard will fit. I wish I had gotten them instead of my Alpines. The Polks are far more efficient, more so than the stock, you will not need an amplifier.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

• 1 month later...

I have those exact Polks, sitting on my bench with a P204U and aux in kit waiting to go in my car. I found this thread because I'm searching on a door panel removal tutorial. I've done dozens of installs, but not on this car and don't want to break/rip anything.

The tweeter on the dB651 supposedly swivels, so you can aim them up, however I haven't figured out how yet, so I emailed Polk and I'm waiting for a reply.

I plan on running both factory tweets and the Polk tweets. If it's too bright I'll bring the treble adjustment down a bit. If that still sucks I'll open the doors again and disconnect the factory tweeter.

I also have phenryiv1 spacers for the Polks. Unsure if they're needed, but I didn't want to start installing and not have them.

I plan on doing some modest dynamatting and other foam dampening in the doors while I'm in there.

I wouldn't run a mid only as the tweeter and mid should be optimized for each other if you're going component style. If you get components like Laff did, you can install the tweeter in the factory tweeter location.

Make sense?

• I Donated Too
do not be afraid... door panel removal very fast and easy. put down a cloth/old thick towel to save scratching the door panel up on the ground. Watch any gorilla poo that ends up on your hands... it's not fun removing it from anything else you might get it on.

Archived